even though the Christmas party was on the twentieth of December- over two months away- y/n thought she would secure him as her date before anyone else does, she couldn't bare seeing him with someone like Eleanor Branstone.

"Y-yeah but- I didn't think anyone would want to go with me so I-I just asked Slughorn for a job as a waiter, you know- to distract myself from everything with you know who- and the fact that no one would go with me" he swiftly looks back as his book, waiting for her response.

"Oh"

She sputters slowly, fumbling with the page of her book- just toying with it until the edge starts to ruffle and become pliant. "W-well I was gonna ask you-"

He jerks his head up from his book, his signature swoop of hair seeming to sway as he looks at her; his eyes bulged as a shocked look is painted on his face.

"A-as friends, you know- no one would ask me anyway- it's fine though" she quickly retreats at his reaction, looking away. he closes his book with a thud- the leather seeming to slip from his hands as he looses control of his body, and his mouth.

"Y/n- what do you mean no one would ask you?" His brows furrowed at the idea that she would ever think that- ever think that no one would want to go to something with her- especially a formal event. Her eyes, Almost scared-like, glances at him- his state of either confusion or anger, she can't tell. Her hands situated on the back of her book, clutching the rough cloth of the publication; searching for reassurance of any kind.

"W-well it's just- I'm not that prett-" he stands up, the back of his thighs leaving the chair with a soft scrap of his trousers. He previously set down the book he was reading before, his hands desperately looking for something to grab as they throw themselves sound on his head, running through his hair before he sets his palms out onto the table edge, his body slightly leaning over as he crouches down to reach the tabletop.

"Y/n- are you listening to yourself??" Neville says a little too loudly, his disbelief earning a hush from madam Pince. He quickly sits back down, making sure to not make very much noise as he takes his book back into his lap, aimlessly flipping through the pages.

"I just meant you're very p- ....capable of getting a date- that's it.." he whispers, his mind racing- thinking about y/n and reviewing the conversation in his head. His head pointed down at his book. His eyes looking somber, filled with an unfamiliar sparkle as they search the page, lazily reading the text.

"T-thank Neville- " y/n whispers back, blushing. Her head turning back to her work as she resumes, still thinking of Neville and her observation of him in the previous seconds.

She desperately wants to hold his hand- feel his warmth. it just looks so soft; set out on the table, his knuckles slightly pink from the cold weather. but she abandons that idea, fearing he won't like it, running her hands through her hair as an alternative, detangling it as he huffs out, leaning back in her chair. 
——————

October 28th.

Neville and y/n decide to go for a walk near the black lake to distract themselves from classes, and you know who's recent attacks. The cold air seeping through their multiple layers of jumpers seems to distract them pretty well.

the two walk on the bank as they watch their footing, making sure they don t trip on any roots on the way. They occasionally look up if they swore they saw a splash on the calm surface of the water, the deep ominous water always had its mysteries. It was well-known that a giant squid took home in the dark waters- but a squid seemed the least of everyones worries, though it did freak out some of the muggleborns. Other students were more scared of the magical creatures living in the black lake; like merpeople, grindylows and who knows what else- Voldemort himself could be down there.