Chapter Two- Probation

It was Tuesday now, and I was in mayor trouble, especially since everyone in my coven loved this place, and I might have blown it for all of us. Daomen was practically in love with the football team, Lilith had found the nearby salon, big surprise, and Sergei approved of the staff at the local hospital. Ang was passive as usual,

I had called home, pretending to be sick, and Sergei had come to pick me up. On the whole drive home, neither of us spoke, but Sergei always communicated best in his silences, and I could tell he was at the very least disappointed in me. Lilith made a sighing comment once in a while, but mostly seemed more interested in humoring Sergei than the incident itself.

I didn't know what had gotten into me...Part of me insisted that I was just sick of hiding...another that I wanted Chris to know. But I doubted it; I mean he was human for god sakes! He shouldn't have held any interest for me at all, aside from the usual thirst that came with immortality. But...

There was just something about him, ya know? I don't know if it was his eyes, which were such a beautiful blue-green. They were deep, deep, as if you could fall staring into them, and never hit the bottom. Or was it that grin, which promised: "I could never hurt you, I want you. Don’t be afraid."

Ugh, what was I talking about? He was human! He should be nothing to me! Tempting in no way but as a meal! Why was I so confused over a human? I had to ask Sergei about this.

And so I went to look for my ‘dad’, hoping he could help me.

“Alice?”

“Yea. I need advice.”

“I know.”

“WHAT?” when did he become a mind reader?

“The human’s confusing you, but yet you really like him, or you think you do. It’s written on your face as clear as day.”

“That obvious?”

“Oh yeah.”

I sighed. Oh god, why me?

“What should I do? I mean he’s human, so I should see him as inferior, but…”

“But you can’t, because sometimes humans aren’t.”

“What?”

“Some of them are special, Alice. Remember, all of us were human once too.”

I nodded, though I really didn’t get it yet. How could he be so special that I, a vampire, couldn’t stop thinking about him?

“Alice, the heart will lead you down the right path if you let it.” And with his cryptic ways, he turned back towards his book and resumed reading, leaving me to my thoughts once more.

I turned around and left the room. Now I knew that Chris was special, I was absolutely certain. But my mind returned me to another train of thought.

You’re a vampire, silly. And even if he didn’t run for the hills screaming from you when he found out, if he was so amazing that he could love a monster like you, you’d be endangering his life every single second your together.