° as the arrow flies

The honey-dipped sunshine spots through the trees, coating the campsite in a warm tinge. The rich golden rays kiss the ground, the trees, and the flowers, settling into the sleeping maiden's pores as a gentle snore escapes her.

A less than bemused pine martin chatters at the activity below his home as the four outlaws begin to stir with the dawn. The pop of stiffened joints and the groans of men disturb the peaceful moan of the woodland, a usually low drawl that remains consistent with the hour. All but one begin to come alive, murmuring amongst each other as the sun stretches its rays further into the sky.

Still, the Princess sleeps.

Her mouth parts as another soft snore escapes, eyelids fluttering in a restless sleep and her long, black lashes ever so gently brushing her round cheeks. While sleep overtakes her being, a pair of eyes like liquid chocolate stare at her in awe. The man with the heart of a child allows himself only a moment to ogle at her sheer elegance, before gently prodding her shoulder with a short stick.

An angry crease dents her brow.

He tries again, poking harder. All of the caution one would use when waking a bear is prevalent in his actions, and one could label his actions as equally dangerous. She scowls harder, shifting away from the annoyance. Tae aims a final poke, meant for her cheek, before the stick is abruptly swatted away.

The most beautifully terrifying eyes he's ever seen glare at him, all of the fury he could possibly imagine locked into her grey gaze. As if starting down the devil itself, he backpedals.

"Ah- sorry m'lady-" he blurts, eyes wide with surprise.

The girl only snorts angrily and rolls onto her other side, equally as surprised.

I'd completely forgotten where I fell asleep, how careless of me.

She silently gawks at her stupidity, before a rich voice calls out to her.

"If you'd like to be on your way, we'll need to leave soon and arrive before the carriages," Tae calls to her.

"Nobles do not wake at this hour," she snaps. "They especially would not travel at this hour."

Tae raises an eyebrow, as does Callaghan, who has taken the liberty of coming over to investigate their banter.

"And you know the nobles' schedule so well?" Tae asks. Callaghan watches in silence.

"Well I-" her eyes widen, a deep flush gracing her cheeks as a rush of adrenaline spikes her system. "Well, they're.. just all too pretentious to wake so early. Nobles want beauty sleep because they care so much about their looks. Obviously."

A heated silence follows her statement, and the horrible churning of nervous energy eats away at the pit of her stomach.

"Well, no matter their schedule, carriages leave from the palace often at this time. Trust the professionals," he adds lightly.

"Professionals?" Callaghan offers a throaty chuckle that surprises Milan, who hadn't known him to be listening. "You're hardly a professional, newbie."

"Ah, I said professionals - plural. Maybe I was talking about the rest of you, hm?" he stands with a bit of sass in his step, making his way to the tent adjacent to Milan's own. She sits up as well, taking in the morning environment. She studies the dewy grass and morning glories that wind themselves around anything within reach, basking in the new sights.

However, a pair of cutting blue eyes disturb her leisurely gazing. She glances up to meet Callaghan's cruel gaze with all of the certainty she can procure.