I had been staring at my clear painted toes for almost an hour while the patio chair made an imprint on my butt. Men and women stood in pockets of the house talking and shoving casseroles, desserts, and fruit into their mouths.

The flowers, the food, the people— it was a little overwhelming. For the last six years, I was with my mum in a lot of other countries before finally moving to Cardiff, so everybody here was a stranger.

They all had a go at comforting my mum and me, but it didn't work. They were the reason my dad was dead as far as I was concerned.

How could he work for these people? The men all looked nice looking, but their faces were mean—like criminals.

"She's over there, sweetheart," I heard my mum's voice direct from a distance.

I sighed and uncrossed my legs ready to make my escape to another secluded area of the house. I didn't want any more hugs, kisses, or I'm sorry's. I just wanted my dad.

"Julissa...right?"

My eyes, which I was sure were red, floated to meet the glimmering almond-shaped stare of a thin framed teenager dressed in a flowy white polo and tan pants. He was like a little adult, and not like any of the boys in my class.

"...J-Julia." I corrected as my throat dried and I stepped back a little.

The young man brushed past me and sat in the adjacent patio chair, his elbows resting on his knees as he peered into my crestfallen features. How could someone so young look so mature and.... so cute? I had crushes before, like Justin Beiber, Usher, even Jessie from Hannah Montana, but this time felt different.

"Mi dispiace per tuo padre. (I'm sorry about your father). I'll miss him."

"...Thank you." I went through a cycle of making and breaking eye contact.

"I'm Adrian, by the way. My dad is Franco. If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask. We're family after all." He leaned in trying to peck my cheek.

"Whoa, there mate. I don't like people kissing me, definitely not boys I don't know."

A smirk rolled over his face, almost as like what I said entertained him. He pushed himself off of the chair and licked his lips.

"Hmm, I like you, Julia. You're feisty." He winked and returned inside with everyone else, "We'll be in touch."

◾️Present◾️

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

I held my pounding head as it sloshed around full of alcohol. The party didn't get much crazier as the night went on, so the five shots I downed amped up the party for me. I don't know why I even bothered drinking, all it did was make the past sneak to the forefront of my mind.

"Ugh, I need an aspirin."

The scent of Champagne Toast spilled from the room as I cracked open the door and headed towards the still brightly lit kitchen. 

"...and what happens when Mancini breaks us down and she has nowhere to go, Olivia?" The hushed voice of Aunt Sonia rambled.

"She's still tied to that family because of Andres, and when Franco finds out she's here, she'll need Vincent's protection too, dear." Uncle Stef added.

Vincent's protection?

I cozied up to the wall, putting myself out of sight as I stretched my ear to catch the rest of the conversation.

"Andres put in work to settin' her up in an area that can't be touched by his family, that ain't enough?" Olivia's slurred voice chimed in.

"You know nothing of this life, my dear, nothing is ever enough."

"We love her and Nicky, but we're struggling to keep up with Mancini's price, and I don't know how long we can hide her without the same protection we have." Aunt Sonia explained.

"But they barely spoke tonight. So how do ya' know it'll work?"

A pregnant pause fell between the three of them, and I eagerly awaited the answer.

"We don't." Aunt Sonia flatly admitted.

Olivia sighed.

"Just get them together soon. Wash that Maniscalco scent from her. Shouldn't be hard since Matías is already sweet on her. "

My lip curled and I tipped out of the shadows as I attempted to sort out what I was just presented with.

"So you did know." My voice carried over the entire kitchen.

"Julia, I didn't know he'd be there, okay. I was only hoping he would."

"So you were hoping Matias would be at his own house party?" I stalked towards the three of them.

"Yes, he's usually there in name only. I honestly thought he was still in Jersey."

"Olivia it's me, okay. I know when you're lying. I just thought by now you'd be better at it."

"She did it for your own good Jules." Stef attempted to reason with me.

"Is that what this whole girl's night is about?—getting me closer to whatever-his-name-is?" I turned back to Liv.

"No...I mean, not initially. Look hon, we're just looking out for you and Nick."

"I don't need you doing that! That's what Andres is for!" 

"Julia, Andres is not protection! I have a crush on the guy, but even I'm not stupid enough to think that he'll choose you over his family!"

Uncle Stef gently placed his hands on my shoulders, pulling me back from my friend as her stare bore into me and my face churned.

"You can look stupid all you want. You know we're right. Maniscalco's are going through a change in power, they're weak, and Adrian's gonna try his hardest to stretch those psychotic wings of his. Then—"

"Okay! I get it, Olivia! Say what you want, but I'm not looking for anything from Matías! I've tried the Underboss wife life. Hard. Pass."

Olivia tilted her head back and chuckled, "Fine, but just know, you're playing with fire without Russo's protection. Don't get burned."

"Jules," Aunt Sonia lifted my chin, "honey, just try it. What's the worst that could happen?"