Life's On The Line- Ren

The soldiers had been hunkered down in the abandoned building all night. It had cooled off a little when the sun went down, but now sunrise was promising another sweltering day. They had to keep clear of windows, or the snipers outside wouldn't hesitate to kill us on the spot.

Our enemy wasn't moving and neither were we. It seemed like we would have to spend another night in this building. I could tell that the other men were becoming restless, having to remain in the same spot for almost 24 hours. I was also feeling the same, but it would be very dangerous for us to even leave this spot. There were more than one enemy sniper watching our building. We're just sitting ducks.

Throughout the day some of the men are getting so restless that I start to have a bad feeling. This isn't going to be good.

"So how long are we just going to keep sitting here?" Nate asks. I look over at him.

"If we leave, we will be killed." I tell him.

"Well we can't just sit here." He says bitterly.

"Actually we can. We have no back-up." I snap.

"I can't just sit here anymore!" Nate says and proceeds to stand up.

"Go ahead and get yourself killed. I won't stop you." I reply. I really wasn't going to stop him or any of the other men. It was their lives they were playing around with.

Nate looks at me and then puts himself in front of the window.

"Hey bastards! Come get me!" He yells loudly. Seconds after bangs break out and Nate is showered with bullets. He's dead where he stands and falls straight back.

"God damnit." I mutter. I look around at the rest of the men. "Anybody else want a go?" The rest of the guys make no reply. They look shocked. That will make them not want to leave this spot.

I look at Nate's body and his blood is quickly forming a puddle and reaching where we are sitting. We have to endure this because we can't leave yet. We all just saw what would happen if we left right now. None of us would make it out alive.

A couple hours later, almost at sundown we hear a helicopter approaching. Gunfire starts. I peek out of the window and see that the helicopter is ours. Why would they come when its dark outside? That's more dangerous for us then in the day time.

"Get ready to move." I tell the other men. "Make sure to use your night vision goggles to navigate around." I remind them. I hear murmurs in response. I stand up and the others follow. I go to the door of the building and peek out with night vision. I look up at the top of the buildings and see none of the snipers in their stations anymore. I scan the surrounding area and see no signs of enemies either. This is our chance.

I signal for the other men to follow me and I step out of the building that we had been hiding in for almost two days. It's time for us to leave.

I'm constantly checking my surroundings to make sure there will not be any surprise attacks. I look ahead of us and spot a car. I recognize it as one of ours. I smile. We're getting out of here.

YouKnowThatNerd