The Actual Story

Their Lovely Arranged Marriage

Short Story

Carter Beaumont-Ashleigh was sitting in the living room, drinking tea and working on his assignment for one of his university classes. He was a 22-year-old, fourth-year creative writing major, and it was a final project to end his university life with. The project was due on Monday, and Carter had nothing written down -- he was literally staring at a black screen. The assignment was to write a short story -- it could be about anything and everything, any genre he wanted -- with a slight twist. Carter's specialty and skill was writing romance, and he was going to use that to his advantage.

Then, the door opened and Carter knew his husband was home. Carter's husband's name was Everest Ashleigh. He was a 26-year-old businessman, part of a small event planning company run by one of his close friends. Everest himself had a degree in digital design, and his talents were often used to create invites. Everest was also good at negotiating, so he had helped out his friend on multiple occasions in terms of deals. He honestly did more work in the higher-ups' department than his actual job, but he was happy as long as he got paid for all the work he did.

So, how did Everest and Carter end up married?

Well, Everest and Carter had no part in this, aside from... well... being born. It was actually their parents' decision. Their parents were close friends, and they wanted their firstborn kids to get married. When they realized that both their firstborns were boys, they thought it wouldn't be possible for them to get married -- because A, gay marriage wasn't legal yet and B, they expected both boys to be straight, even though they would except their sons for whoever they choose to be. However, when Everest came out to his parents as gay, and a few years later, Carter as bisexual, they schemed together to make them get married. By then, gay marriage was also legal in the country they lived in, so that was a big deal signer.

Which brings us to present-time.

Carter and Everest got married during the Christmas time of the past year, which meant that they had been married for about six months now -- the time being June right now, which was "finals season" for Carter the university student. This writing project was just a project, and he would still have to take the exams later in the month, which Carter was not looking forward to at all.

Anyways, the point is, Everest and Carter were stuck in an arranged marriage, and Everest just got home from work on a particularly stressful Friday night for Carter because of his writing assignment.

"Good evening.", Everest greeted Carter when he noticed his husband sitting on the living room couch with his laptop on his lap and his wavy hair clipped back with more than a few colourful butterfly clips, and glasses on his nose.

"Mmhmm.", Carter replied, typing something onto his screen, only to delete it seconds later.

Everest noticed something off about Carter, so he came and sat down beside him on the couch. Of course, he took off his shoes and socks first at their apartment door first. Carter was surprised, but didn't say anything, focusing on his once-again blank screen.

"What's going on?", Everest asked.

"Assignment for uni. Writer's block. Can't write.", Carter mumbled in response.

"When's it due?", Everest questioned.

Carter sighed. "Monday morning. I have to hand it in during my 9:00 AM class. It's my final project, aside from the final exam we'll have later this month.".

"OK, well, how do you normally get out of your writer's block?", Everest said, getting up and taking off his tie and waistcoat.

"I dunno.", Carter replied. "I kind of just... don't feel like moping around and acting sluggish everywhere...".