× Prologue

"Two kits!!" exclaimed the red-furred medicine cat. The whole camp purred and yowled in excitement. SkyClan was happy, once in a very long time. The clans were at war with one another, known as the great war. Two kits, born of a desperate clan.

Bluetail had been expecting kits for the longest time. Everyone was worried, but the kits came out alright. Their father, Blackwillow, had died in a battle only a few days before the kits were born.

"What are you going to name them?" Asked Skypaw, who had his apprentice ceremony only yesterday.

 "The oldest one will be named Featherkit," responded Bluetail, "because of her feathery pelt. And the youngest one shall be named... Leafkit, because her fur reminds me of the fallen leaves in the late leaf-fall."

"They're beautiful names, Bluetail." remarked. Heatherheart, Bluetail's best friend and Skypaw's mother. "You couldn't have picked better names."

"If only their father was here. He couldn't wait for them to come. But he's watching them in StarClan, protecting them from harm."

Rednose, the medicine cat, sighed. "Bluetail, I couldn't help but to think. What if one, or maybe even both, of them were the cats of the prophecy?"

Bluetail brought the kits closer to her. "I don't know, Rednose, I don't know." She paused for a moment.

"But I hope one of them is."