Cloud Recess I - The Present (7)

Start from the beginning

"Zizhen. Words."

"Yes, yes, er," said Ouyang Zizhen eloquently. "Well, what I mean to say is... Hanguang-Jun doesn't look cold! Look, he doesn't look very happy—never does, mind you—but my point is he isn't looking at Senior Wei coldly like he would to normal commoners such as us!"

Many nodded understandingly at his words, whereas others, such as Jingyi and Jin Ling, wished to refute that last cheeky statement.

"You're right, they're... twinkling with stars! No wonder Wei Wuxian was so infatuated by his gaze!"

"Is," Wei Wuxian corrected off-handedly.

"No, no, no, little miss, they're shining with hearts!"

"Do you need your eyes fixed? I see no hearts! His eyes are yellow! It's definitely stars!"

"Gold!" Nie Huaisang felt the need to add.

"Hey, I've heard a rumour of sorts," said Lan Jingyi smartly, beckoning some to gather around. "I'm an insider at Cloud Recess, everyone's favourite, you know?" (A cough. "Jingyi.") "Anyway, I get all the gossip. I've heard from a very credible source that Hanguang-Jun liked Senior Wei when they were still young disciples like us."

As the others 'ahh'ed in awe and admiration, Lan Jingyi nodded appreciatively. "Yes, yes, and this must mean Hanguang-Jun still likes him. Therefore, upon seeing Wei Wuxian, he was really happy."

"Isn't that sad?" said Nie Huaisang solemnly. "Wangji-xiong was really doing his best... And Wei-xiong just thinks he wants to hurt him."

Nie Mingjue was smart in that he did not even ask what was wrong with Huaisang.

"Sect Leader, the Ghost General went over there!" said a voice, quickly severing the connection.

"Quick, lead the way!"

"Where is he?!"

Wei Wuxian narrowed his eyes. 'They've come up. I need to tell Wen Ning to hurry.'

"Come now, must you all be so delusional?" said Sect Leader Yao, his cheeks an angry red. "He is protecting a fierce corpse! One who is attempting to slaughter countless, at that! I really don't know how you all manage to justify his evil actions when he clearly doesn't deserve any chance at redemption nor your pity—"

And then he abruptly stopped, like a puppet whose strings had been cut. Many eyes nonchalantly drifted to the Lans — no, to Lan Qiren, to see if he was okay. And then they gathered he was fine, though coughing an unhealthy amount of blood while unconscious. Healthy, then. — then their eyes snapped to Lan Wangji, who looked smug?! But, of course, despite this being the first time they managed to read the famous Second Young Master Lan's facial expression, they revelled more in the fact the old Yao Sect Leader had finally shut up! Really, though some agreed with what he was trying to say, the way in which he expressed it made them want to sympathise with the Yiling Patriarch. (Which was certainly a problem.)

With his wrist still caught in Lan Wangji's tight grip, Wei Wuxian placed his fingers on the flute and one again began to play.

'Whatever. Tens of thousands of people know how to play the flute, and the sheer number of those who imitate me in controlling corpses with the flute could form an entire sect. If nothing works, I'll just refuse to confess no matter what!'

Jiang Wanyin looked like he wanted to jump into Yunmeng Lake, climb back out, shake the life out of Wei Wuxian until he was disorientated and jump back in again. Many shared the sentiment.