"Oh my God." Cate cried, kneeling in front of Sandra as she cupped her face, "Baby..." her sobs grew stronger, "...please tell me this is not what I am thinking, please..." she cried.

Sandra smiled at her sweetly as the brunette held Cate's hands that were on her face, "Even if I cannot see you right now, I am sure that my brown eyes suit you perfectly, honey."

And with that, Cate broke down.

1 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉 𝒂𝒈𝒐...

"Honey... why can't I see you?"

"What?" Sandra stood up and went closer to Cate who was lying on the bed, "What do you mean you cannot see? Baby, what do you mean?"

Cate, with her eyes opened, looked around. The blonde panicked and immediately sat up on bed and when she did, her tears began to fall.

"I cannot see. I cannot see. I can't." She sobbed, with her hands trying to reach Sandra, "Honey, I can't see you." She sobbed as her head turned to where Sandra at.

Sandra's lips parted as she held Cate's shoulders to stop her from panicking, "Baby, listen. Listen to me. What do you mean you can't see?"

"I guess I am looking at you right now and I am sure that my eyes are open, but I can't see a single thing. It's all black. It's so dark."

With what had been said, Sandra's tears fell. Her shoulder slumped down as if the universe was dropped on it. She felt the fast beating of her heart and even if she, too, started to panick, she wiped her tears and kissed Cate's forehead right away.

"Baby, listen. Settle down. You just got shot, please. Listen, stay here and I am going to get some help, okay?"

Sandra rushed out of the room and called the doctor. After a few minutes, three doctors came  rushing into the blonde's room along with Sandra who was silently crying behind. The brunette watched as each doctor checked the love of her life. It took a few good minutes before one of the doctors held her and dragged her out of the room.

"I'm sorry. Cate is now blind."

Sandra looked at the doctor unbelievably, "What?"

"This is not a rare case. It happens most to people who got shot near their eyes. We have checked her already and the bullet that hit her ear, the one that almost hit her head exploded. The remnants of the bullet, the specks inside the bullet - the cartridge, the projectile and the primer may have entered her eyes. We believed that the gun was fired from a distance, the air velocity probably was high and it could be the reason why the bullet exploded thus going into her eyes."

"You can have those specks removed, right?"

"Yes, we can. We can operate her. But it doesn't and it won't give her sight back. Her eyes are severely damaged. We can have a corneal transplant. It's sort of an eye transplant. We just have to look for donors, but it may take a long while. There's a lot of people waiting on the list already. We are so sorry."

"Why?" Cate cried, "Why did you fucking do it?" She fell on the floor and everyone in the room started sobbing too, "Why did you do it? I fucking hate you so much, baby. Why?" She continued, "Why didn't you tell me?" She added as she cupped Sandra's face.

Sandra leaned on her. Their foreheads touched. Cate was breaking down, but Sandra knew and believed that she did the right thing.

"Baby, I did it because I love you." She whispered, her lips curved into a smile, "I cannot imagine you not seeing the whole world. Your ocean blue eyes twinkled so much. I am so in love with your eyes and it pains me to think that those won't light up already. The light in your eyes are one of the many things that made me fall in love with you. And at the end, it was the light from your eyes that made me want to stumble home. Blissful, I recounted our tales and in the middle of my recollection, I realized that the glow in your eyes was a reflection from mine. That glow, that beam, that shimmer from your ocean blue eyes came from mine, too. It occured during those moments when we shared glances and in those moments, I lived. Now, I cannot seem to imagine without that glow. I cannot think about you, not having the sight. And even if I do not have my brown eyes anymore, I know that in you, you can make my brown eyes shine too."

"You are  so selfless and I fucking hate you for it." Cate whispered as she touched Sandra's lips, their foreheads still attached, "I don't deserve you. I don't."

"Hey, baby. You can't decide who deserves me. It is I who gets to decide that. And I, I believed since the very beginning that you deserve me. Baby, I was born for you. I love you. I love you so much. I love you the most - more than I can offer, more than I can say and more than I can fathom." Sandra whispered with Cate still sobbing.

"Just... just marry me right now."

***