Chapter 17

Hostel:

Riya: Sanchi, I saw you talking to Kabeer. What was he saying?

Sanchi: Nothing much. He asked me for a coffee.

Riya: So then why didn't you go?..it's not everyday he asks a girl for coffee

Sanchi: I would like to maintain my distance Riya. I want to concentrate on my studies now.

Riya: oh..ok.. but..ahh chuck..I'm going out..don't wait for me..I'll be late maybe.

Sanchi : Okay..

Sanchi smiled at Riya and she left.

Sanchi's pov:

It's been 2hours since Riya left and I can't seem to focus. Kabeer keeps invading my mind. It's not like I don't find him attractive. I do find him really interesting but I can't afford to lose my dreams with these feelings. And one character I noticed in Kabeer was his sharpness. He can figure me out easily. And it is necessary to maintain my distance from him and focus on my goal.

I started walking through the gardens. I couldn't seem to focus anyway. So coming here would help probably. I was seated peacefully on a bench when I saw some  smoke clouding my vision. When I looked up I saw Veer looking at a distance without any care in the world.

“ You smoke?" I asked him.

"No I don't. Can't you see?" He replied. Oh yes. I was asking the obvious. I rolled my eyes at him.

He came and sat next to me. Even though that cigarette smell was giving me headache ,I didn't move away from him.

“What are you doing here?" I asked him after sometime.

“Same reason as you"he replied.

"And what is my reason?"

“I know you came to clear your head even though there's nothing in there" he replied shortly.

“ Wow Veer.. like what are you ? Like sometimes you act like a lovesick puppy asking for attention and sometimes you act so rude and arrogant " I said him. I know he hasn't insulted me before. But I've seen how he talks to isha..and many girls in our class. It was really contrasting. Like one moment he'll be joking and the next moment he becomes serious.

“A puppy”

“What?"I asked confused also I was looking around if there was any puppy?!..

"You asked me What am I? You called me a puppy. So I am a puppy. Sometimes I really hate explaining things. Why don't people think like me?!" He sighed.

“Veer seriously.. that's what you gathered?!"

He didn't reply and continued to smoke. And that was giving me a headache. I got up excusing myself and walked into my room.

Riya's pov:
I visited my mother and came into my room. Sanchi was fast asleep. It's hard to keep up my smiling face and ask things to her. I loved Kabeer since I was a kid. When other kids bullied me, he came to my rescue. That was the time I actually started liking him. His caring nature never went. He was always considerate. I was a shy student and I couldn't ask doubts to my teacher directly. Seeing this he offered me to help with my studies. He used to give this comfortable aura.

Every girls in my class would be chasing after him. He was perfect. Be it in sports or academics. But he never gave them any hope. He was a charmer. Never did he ask out a girl. So I never had insecurity and I always hoped he would realise my feelings and reciprocate them. But maybe I was thinking too far.

Now when I think about Sanchi and Kabeer. It feels like something stabbed on my heart. And my constant fear of losing Kabeer also comes.

Sanchi is really a sweet friend. Any girl would wish to be her. No wonder Kabeer finds her interesting. She's also like him. Perfect in everything. She's got the looks and brains. And a really good heart. The first week when I came, she was really supportive and when I couldn't clear the topics she sat with me and explained it to me patiently. When I was sick, she took care of me like her own family. It was really sweet and I was really happy to finally have someone like that.

But my love towards Kabeer makes me cold towards her. I don't find her warm now. I don't want to be a person to dislike someone this sweet even though it isn't her fault. Moreover she is not interested in him right?!..so I might still have a chance.