twenty-one

Y/N woke up confused the next morning: she hadn't remembered trying to fall asleep. She supposed that she had just slipped into unconsciousness whilst staring at that beloved picture. Y/N checked the time: 10:55. Her eyes were swollen and heavy from crying and she felt tired even though she had had a solid 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Her body ached from the previous evening's distress as she got up from her bed, placing the photograph carefully on the bedside table, and ambled to her bathroom. She looked in the mirror. Apart from bloodshot eyes, she looked healthy and normal. It was weird; her face held no resemblance of heartbreak and yet her chest throbbed as it held the broken pieces of her heart inside. Her whole body screamed with the pain of a thousand stab wounds and yet her facade stayed perfectly neutral. Physically she was fine, emotionally she was a ship-wreck.

As Y/N struggled down the staircase, she heard hushed voices coming from the kitchen.

"Do you think that's the right call for her?" one voice, who was instantly recognised as Maddie, asked anxiously.

"No, of course I don't," the other snapped, who Y/N knew immediately was her mum. "But it's not as if I have much choice."

Y/N reached the kitchen and the two participants of the conversation glanced towards her.

"Y/N," Mila breathed, standing up from her chair. "Good morning, honey."

Y/N gave her mother what she thought was smile but in reality was barely an upturn of the mouth, and crossed over to the other side of the kitchen.

"Did you sleep okay?" Mila asked, eyeing her daughter worriedly.

"Mmh," Y/N mumbled.

"Are you hungry?" Mila opened the fridge and poked her head inside. "What do you want to eat?"

"Nothing, thank you," Y/N replied.

Mila scrunched her forehead and glanced over to Maddie anxiously. Y/N stared at the two for a moment, noticing their eyes were wide and meaningful, much like the eye communication between Oscar and Emily yesterday...

"What?" Y/N snapped. The two jolted and glanced at her. "What?" she repeated, losing patience.

"I don't know what you mean," Mila said.

"There's something you aren't telling me," Y/N said.

Mila and Maddie exchanged another uncertain look before Maddie exhaled sharply, got up and closed the distance between her and Y/N. Maddie took her hand and lead her over to the closest island stall before sitting down once again herself. Mila stood behind Maddie's chair, her hands clasped in front of herself and anxiety plastered on her face.

"Mila," Maddie said introductorily.

"Okay," Mila sighed. "Firstly, please know that this isn't what I want at all and if it were up to me you'd stay right here forever and forever."

"Mum, what are you talking about?" Y/N questioned, worry rising in her chest as her eyes darted between her best friend and mother.

"Y/N..." Mila tried to continue, closing her eyes for a second. "Y/N, I'm so sorry... but you must... you... you have to go back to the UK... today. You have a flight at 'one'."

Y/N felt a familiar sinking feeling at the look in Mila's eyes and was already shaking her head as the bad news was shared.

"No, no, don't make me go back," she pleaded. Although Y/N liked to idea of being as far away as possible from the betrayal and hurt, she dreaded having to return to 520 West Street and live under the constant degrading of Ivy and disappointment of Sam.