•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13•

Start from the beginning

I slicked my hair back into two space buns as I slammed my hand on my speaker, unable to rid my mind of fluttering thoughts.

I expected Liv to be running into my room by now telling me she'd be ready in five minutes that would definitely turn into another hour.

"Got my purse, wallet.... where's my phone?"

I tossed my failed outfits from the bed, flipped my comforter, but still came up empty.

"Where is it!?" I shouted as an excited knock rapped against my door.

"Hey Jules, I'm ready. C'mon."

I snatched my purse and shoes and stepped out, deciding to forget it for now.

"Coming."

• • • •

The crystal moon settled comfortably over the night sky as Olivia drove through the cities of Northern California. We passed so many restaurants and clubs that I'd lost count and was beginning to lose patience.

The only soothing familiar sight was the ocean glimmering under the night sky a few miles away.

We passed a sign reading "WELCOME TO EUREKA!" and I noticed the passing fancy beach homes.

"You lied. You said we were going to a party in San Fran."

"I said we were going through SF, not to it."

Where are we going Liv? We've been driving for hours."

"I know." She replied bluntly.

I rolled my eyes, "If I knew it was just a house party I would've dressed down. I hate being the odd one out."

"What? You look amazing. Plus that dress makes it look like you got a bbl."

"I did," I say, my face going flat.

"Shut up. No, you didn't. I would've gotten one too if that was the case." Olivia's stomach jumped from laughing as she pulled into a long darkened driveway.

"How long are we staying Liv?" I swung my door open and stepped out.

"As long as it takes." She mumbled under her breath, the words barely audible.

"Huh?"

She grabbed her purse from the backseat and circled the car, "I said as long as you want Roe."

A friendly smirk pulled at my mouth, knowing we were now in character.

Olivia and I pushed our way through the half-drunken crowd. As we made our party rounds, we saw a couple of people Olivia used to hang with when I left for Cardiff with my mom.

I was lonely and felt excluded from nearly every conversation. Being surrounded by all these friendly masked faces brought me back to the parties my ex would bring me to, the few that he allowed me to attend.

Fake smiles and alcoholic infused thoughts. Even the conversations- superficial. I mean, they probably all cared for each other....for the right price.

"Here babe, you look like you need this." Olivia smiled as she handed me a cliché triangle glass filled with peach vodka.

"Thanks."

The familiar scene gave rise to the contents in my stomach as I hurriedly tipped the glass back, drowning some of those feelings.

"I'm gonna see who I know." I lied, jabbing Olivia with my arm and jutted my chin towards the stairway of people.

She nodded, a glint of mystery shining around her irises.