"You'll get yourself killed," Jonny mutters, pale as a can of white paint.

"For once," Will says, "I agree with him."

Jonathan peeks over the edge of the vehicle, his eyes trained on the Mind Flayer across the court. He ducks back down quickly.

"Oh, shit."

I take a chance as well, despite Will's warning, and glance over the top of the car. I can see the back of the Mind Flayer as he scavenges through the Gap, searching for El.

There's a rustling beside me, and I duck to see Lucas grabbing his wrist rocket, panting.

"What are you doing?" Nancy asks in a panicked tone.

"Don't worry," Lucas responds, stretching the elastic of the rocket and peeking around the side of the vehicle. All of a sudden, he stands, readying his weapon. He aims at the Mind Flayer, much to our horror, before thankfully changing his course and shooting across the court at a faraway balloon. It pops loudly, and we all flinch as the creature lets out an ear splitting screech.

Jonathan peers over the car as stomping steps cross the mall and away from the Gap.

"Go!" He instructs, standing and dragging Nancy with him, "Go, go, go, go, go, go!"

I stand up, following Will two steps before glancing behind me and stopping.

"Jonny," I whisper harshly, "come on!"

He's staring straight ahead, frozen. He's got a sickly green tint that's even visible under the combination of neon lights and his own freckles. I swear under my breath, seeing the Mind Flayer across the mall becoming aware of Lucas's trick. Will's gone, not realizing I haven't followed.

"Jonny," I say again, but it's no use. He remains in place, eyes unblinking and mouth slightly agape. I skid to the ground, kneel at his side, and shake his shoulder. At last, he looks my way. He mumbles something incoherent.

"Look," I say breathlessly, hearing another screech behind me, "I get you're scared; so am I. We're all terrified, all right? But if we don't get out now, we are going to die."

My last words seem to ring a bell in his brain, and he nods.

"Okay?"

"I-okay." His eyes dart around mine, searching for an answer I can't give him just yet. I hoist him to his feet, seeing the creature peering around the mall.

"Come on!" I press, dragging him along with me into the same store the others left through. We barge through the back room and into the hallways that connect the mall, "This way!"

He stumbles alongside me, and I can hear the Mind Flayer roaring from back in the court. I just hope it didn't see us.

We run for another couple minutes before heading for a door at the end of the hall.

"Out here," I say, pushing it open and coming into the warm air. I hear a car engine, and as I circle to the front, I watch Nancy's car skid out of the lot. My eyes see two other cars; Billy's and the one that Hopper lent Steve. Both of them are destroyed, and Billy's is on fire. I try to see if he's still inside, but it's dark.