Chapter 1 - Nice To Meet You

"Welcome to the first annual All-Stars race! Here we are at Seaside Hill in Whale Lagoon! Our racers should be ready in a moment!" said a loud speaker up above.

My friends and I were revved up for this race. The sky was almost as blue as my quills and the sandy track was blowing in the wind. It was the perfect day for a race.

My buddy Tails was here along with Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, and Big. All our vehicles were already parked in their places, courtesy of NiGHTS. He decided to be the announcer and referee for this. I don't know how he was able to travel to the real world. I mean, he is usually stuck in Nightopia. At least he can fly to see everything going on during the race.

"Wow, I still can't believe we were invited to this race!" Tails exclaimed, his two tails swishing back and forth as we took in the scenic view.

"Well, the race is called 'Sonic and Sega All-Stars Race.'" I explained. "Although, I was hoping to enjoy this single Eggman-free day."

"Yeah, although you did have to come because you share the name. I didn't even know this was a thing though. How could this many people show up?" He motioned toward the crowds of others all talking around us.

Amy peered up ahead, moving her hand to count everyone. "Oh dear. I believe I've counted over twenty down there." Thing is, we all had to race against that. I wished I could use my legs but then again, it wouldn't be a fair race.

"I hope they're all nice." Big said. He had his fishing rod hoisted over his shoulder. Froggy's on his head. Why he brought his fishing rod to a race is a question I never thought to ask.

Knuckles shook his head. "Why did I even bother to come." He crossed his arms and looked the other way. An orca splashed nearby. Great, a killer whale. At least we won't be in the water. As long as it doesn't chase me, we'll be all right.

I looked away from the spectacle and nudged him. "You told me yourself that you were curious about this thing."

Knuckles looked back. "Yeah, when I thought there wouldn't be this many people." He sighed. "I thought it would be safer, but maybe I should have left the Master Emerald back on Angel Island." He pulled out a small green gem from hammer space.

"Safer? I don't even understand why you brought that here." Shadow stated, shaking his head as he crossed his arms. "Won't Angel Island fall without the Master Emerald?"

Knuckles opened his mouth to say something but before he could, a voice rang out. "Hey Sonic!"

Everyone stopped talking to see who had called out my name. A kid wearing a rooster costume came into view. His yellow hair almost looked like a beak from where it came out of the costume. At least I kinda knew him.

I waved. "Hey, Billy Hatcher! Long time no see!" I said as he came closer. "Never did thank you for saving us from those eggs. I don't know about Tails and Knuckles but it was quite crammed in there."

"No problem. Hatching eggs is my specialty." Billy replied with a wide smile. He's human meaning he lives on Earth however, now he's at a place called Morning Land. From what I know, he's there trying to fight back the crows bringing darkness to the area. How I ended up there in an egg is a question I don't have an answer to. Probably some random portal. I mean, it has happened before.

He looked up and saw Tails right next to me. My buddy was looking on a yellow device. "Woah! That looks so cool! What does it do?" Billy pointed at the device.

"This?" Tails held it up. "It's called the Miles Electric. I can use it to translate languages and even do some research for this race."

"Cool!" Billy exclaimed, looking on the screen. The current track Tails was looking on was the Whale Lagoon track. There were twists and turns...and the track was surrounded by water. At least I don't have to swim for this race.

"So Billy, how's Morning Land doing?" Tails asked.

Billy sighed. "Well, everything's going well enough that Menie-Fenie is allowing me to participate in this race. My friends had to stay behind though. Hopefully I can see them when we head that way."

I cocked my head. "We're heading to Morning Land?" I thought the race would stay here at Seaside Hill. I never thought we would travel to other worlds. Tails went onto the Miles Electric to see.

"Well, there is a track set up there." Billy stated. "I believe it was in-" he got cut off by a scream.

"Hey! Who took my banana?" It was Amy. I facepalmed. We had a small discussion about her bringing a banana.

I told her to bring an apple or something but she didn't listen. I may not have known who would be here but I do know two monkeys. I was pretty sure they were racing and that they both sure do love bananas. I can even see four other monkeys in the stands who probably do as well.

One of the racing monkeys (he was wearing a red t-shirt with an "A" on it), went up to Amy. Even though he spoke in his backwards monkey gibberish, it was still easy to understand him. At least, once I figured out that he spoke backwards.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't think it belonged to anyone!" The little monkey apologized, holding some of the banana peel in his hand.

Amy's expression eased up. "Oh, it's okay. You probably enjoyed it more than I would have." She smiled. At least that didn't turn into a whole thing. If anyone knows how Amy gets when she's angry, it's me and believe me it's not pretty.

Before we could talk to some of the other racers, NiGHTS flew over to us. His purple jester hat dangled at his sides as he exclaimed, "The race is about to start! Everyone head to your vehicles!"