Chapter Sixteen

En başından başla

Josephine caught her breath. "Then you are right, sir, this does concern your great-uncle's old companions and those strange red stones."

"Yes. But I have been proceeding on the assumption that Mercury was dead." His mouth twisted. "I ought to have known better than to arrive at any conclusions without proof."

She studied the tight brackets at the corners of his mouth. Her earlier irritation evaporated. "Tell me, my lord, are you always so quick to shoulder all of the responsibility when things go wrong?"

He gave her a quick, frowning glance. "What sort of question is that? I assume the responsibility that is mine."

"And then some, I think." She noticed that two expensively garbed ladies in a passing carriage were watching her and Hero with the avid expressions of a pair of cats eyeing potential prey. Quite deliberately she angled her dainty parasol to block their view. "It has become clear to me in the short time that I have known you that you are far too accustomed to the dictates of duty. You accept whatever obligations are thrust upon your shoulders as though they were your lot in life."

"Perhaps that is because responsibility is my lot in life," he said dryly. "I control a considerable fortune, and I am the head of a very large family. In addition to any number of relatives, a great many tenants, farmers, servants and labourers depend upon me in one way or another. Given that situation, I do not see how I can escape the demands of duty."

"I did not mean to imply that you should attempt to evade your obligations," she said quickly.

He was amused. "I am pleased to know that you did not intend any criticism because my intuition tells me that you and I have a great deal in common when it comes to the manner in which we feel the weight of our responsibilities."

"Oh, I hardly think-"

"Take, for example, the way in which you rushed to Sally's rescue today. There was no need to get involved."

"Rubbish. You know very well that one cannot listen to such vile threats and remain silent."

"Some people could have done so without a qualm, telling themselves that they had no responsibility in the matter." He drew in the reins slightly. "I think we are also alike in other ways as well, Miss Langford."

"What do you mean?" she asked, wary now.

He shrugged. "Having interrupted that scene between Zach and Sally, you could have surrendered to Zach's blackmail in order to protect your position in the household."

"Nonsense."

"There was, after all, a fair amount of money at stake. Triple your wages plus a bonus. Even split in half with an extortionist, that is far more than you can expect to make in a year's employment as a companion elsewhere."

"One cannot give in to extortion." She adjusted the parasol. "You know very well that had you been in my shoes, you certainly would not have done so."

He merely smiled, as though she had proved his point for him.

She frowned. "Oh. I see what you mean. Perhaps we do share some character traits. But that was not quite what I meant."

"What did you mean, Miss Langford?"

"I believe that what I am trying to describe may have more to do with your excessive sense of self-mastery. Your notions of what is right and proper for you to do. I believe you may demand more of yourself than is strictly necessary if you see what I mean."