Seven

"What?"

I was leaned against the wall, at this time sliding down to sit on the floor while listening to my parents conversation. I probably shouldn't eavesdrop, but they were talking about my biological dad.

"George–"

"You went looking for them after I told you I didn't want that?" dad asked. "Allie for fuck sake. I told you so many times..."

"And this is about you?" mum asked. "Can't you see that Bree's starting to wonder where she comes from? She wants answers!"

I could hear dad laugh.

"Why does she need answers? She's got a family who loves her! She doesn't need to know the person who gave birth to her to the guy who's responsible for the fucking sperm. She's got everything right here."

"She's a seventeen-year-old girl who's grown up with parents she doesn't look like. With siblings she doesn't look like. When she was younger, she thought that we liked the twins better because they're your biological children. Wanting to know about her history, doesn't mean she's gonna leave us to live with them. She just wants to sit down with the people who gave her life, and ask them some questions."

My dad scoffed.

"And when they meet her, they're gonna want her back. What if they're gonna fight for us for custody of her?"

"That won't happen. We legally adopted her in two-thousand and four when she was a year old. They're not getting her back, and Bree won't want to leave us." mum explained. "George... see, this is why I didn't tell you. You're constantly so scared that her birth parents will show up and claim her as their own."

I can't listen to this.

I got off the floor and walked into the kitchen with very fast steps, both of my parents noticing me right away.

"Bree." Mum breathed. "How much of that—"

"You found my birth dad?" I asked, causing mum's eyes to slightly widen for a minute before she put down the knife and nodded.

"Yes."

"No!" Dad exclaimed. "No... she did not."

"Wha— dad I heard it all." I frowned, pointing towards the wall I had been hiding behind.

"George—" mum started, but dad held up his hand, looking at me.

"You're right. Mum found your birth father, but you do not have permission to meet up with him."

"What?!"

"We don't know the guy." Dad continued. "He might be dangerous. We don't know."

"C'mon, George." Mum laughed. "She can meet her dad if she wants to."

"I'm her dad!" Dad yelled at mum. "And you shouldn't have gone behind my back when you know how I feel about it!"

"This is why I did it!" Mum raised her voice back at him. "You're acting like a fool right now, thinking about yourself rather than your daughter!"

Dad shook his head.

"She's not meeting him. End of discussion."

"Well that isn't up to you, is it?" Mum asked through gritted teeth. "Don't fucking mess with me, George... not while I'm standing with a knife."

"If mum has found my biological dad, I want to meet him." I said, causing dad to look away from mum and at me again.

"That's out of the question. I'm sorry, love but I don't trust him."