Chapter 15 {Chores and Disscussions}

Magsimula sa umpisa

Once we all sat down to eat, I was quite pleased to see everyone enjoying the food I prepared. It brought me happiness to see my family and others eat what I cook, it makes me feel as though I'm doing something useful...

Hannah piped up by clearing her throat, "Alright ladies, your mother left youse girls under my care, so there's going to be some chores for each of you... " Jo groaned in disappointment and dread, we all laughed quietly and Hannah continued, "Meg and I will be doing laundry and maintaining the cleanliness of this floor, Beth and Amy will be cleaning the dishes and maintaining the upstairs. Jo will do her normal work that involves woodcutting, planting crops, and weeding the garden. and Eliza will be doing the cooking, picking crops, as well as the shopping with whomever she chooses. Any disagreements will result in you cleaning the outhouse, am I clear? " Amy and Jo huffed as Meg, Beth, and I looked between each other and giggled while Laurie sat there in awe of Hannah's straightforward demeanor... 

We were all used to it by now because Hannah has been in the family for over ten years and she's well respected so we all know better than to argue with her...

Beth and Amy cleaned the dishes, Hannah and Meg went outside to wash and hang our clean clothes, and finally, Jo and I were tasked to sweep and mop the house. It usually takes quite a while but Laurie wanted to help, so it went by rather quickly which was his intention because he wanted to speak with me privately... Jo's facial features grew more suspicious as time went on and once we finished cleaning she bluntly asked, "What does Laurie have planned? " "What do you mean? " I asked confusingly, she rolled her eyes and said, "He clearly wanted us to hurry so he could do something with you, now tell me what it is. " Laurie walked over behind me and answered, "I intend to take Eliza on a walk so we can spend some time with each other. Now, does that satisfy your curiosity? " He asked with a smirk, Jo's suspicious look calmed down as she said, "Yes it does, thank you... " She then looked back at me and added, "Let's go upstairs so you can change. " I nodded as we ran up the stairs, "Give me just a moment! " I yelled to Laurie as he responded with, "I'll be waiting! "

Once we got to our room I picked out a pale baby blue dress, white leggings, and my brown laced shoes. While I got changed Jo spoke up, "Why do you think he's whisking you away? Is there something wrong? " I looked up at her and said, "Oh, not at all. He just said that he wanted to speak with me. " Jo sighed and said under her breath, "Romance is so confusing and drawn out... I don't understand it nor do I like it... " I finished getting dressed and began to fix my hair as I said, "Oh, Jo. It's not as bad as you make it sound, it's quite lovely actually... " She stayed silent as she laid down on her bed and looked around the room as she always did when she was in deep thought.

I finished and said, "I'll be back soon, Jo. Tell the others that I'm with Laurie if they ask, please. " She just nodded, still deep in thought, and I walked down the stairs where Laurie waited for me. "Are you finally ready? " He asked with a smirk on his face, I rolled my eyes and said, "Yes, I finally am. " I grabbed my handbag as we laughed and walked out the house to begin down the street. 

Laurie sighed and asked, "If you don't mind me asking, why did you and Jo decide to cut your hair? " "Oh yes, about that... Marmee needed more money for her train fare and medicine because she was on the brink of not having enough, so Jo and I sold our hair to the wigmaker in town. She insisted on having her's cut shorter than mine even though I fought her on it but of course, she got her way... Anyhow, it was the least we could do given the circumstances... " Laurie smirked and said, "Well, what you did for mother was very selfless and I admire that about you... And for what it's worth, I think your hair looks quite lovely. I've noticed that it flows in the wind much easier now... " I giggled as my cheeks flushed and he smirked as we continued to walk down the street.