Tyranny Meets 2020

** This story is not intended to make light of the pandemic. Covid-19 is a very serious illness. **

At last, after centuries in my tomb, and months of silent rapture while the mortals surveyed my degraded vessel; my sarcophagus was opened for what I hoped would be the last time. 

By the Gods, the mere presence of mortals made my still petrified mouth itch to snarl. I could feel both of them even in my suspended state.

"My word," A voice, muffled, but clearly female murmured. "I've never seen one, so,"

"Juicy?" A male voice finished. "You grow accustomed to it. The smell of the cedar oil helps." 

Yes, yes. I am strange. I am fascinating. Can we make haste with my emancipation? I have places to destroy and people to eat.

One of the four stakes that bound me to my prison of inscribed pine turned ever so slightly.

Yes, release me, foolish mortal. Release me that I may unleash my wrath upon the earth. Finally the night will be filled with weeping and your streets will run red with blood.

"Could you pass me the- Oh, yes, thank you." The woman's voice was followed by sound that had become all too familiar during my past months of torment.

"I've been meaning to ask since you returned, How you're doing," The shuttering clicks stopped. "With everything, I mean?"

"Better, still in shock I suppose." The woman sounded demure and wilted despite her small laugh.

Oh little mortal, soon you will know the true meaning of suffering. You all will, and then I will feast upon your desperate, impoverished souls.

"I can't even imagine." The man matched her tone.

"How- How's your sister?" She continued. "She works at St. Augustine's, right?"

"Yes, she's doing well but it's been difficult not being able to see her."

"And your cousin, isn't he in the National Guard?"

"Yes, he's been activated." He sighed. "My aunt is sick with worry, but he assures us it will all be over soon."

It has most assuredly just begun. I chuckled. The mortals were silent, speaking no more until the clicks stopped.

"Shall we proceed then?" My heart leapt with excitement, or at least it would have if it was still beating.

"Yes, I suppose so."

Centuries entombed and months of examinations, yet the next few moments were the longest. One by one they removed the stakes from my decayed flesh.

At last! I yelled to the cosmos. At last I shall be free!

With the removal of the last stake, the magic that bound me lightened like the gentle inhale that began to fill my vessel's lungs. It was a shame my first breath of fresh air was to be tainted by mortals. My nose twitched at the odor.

"I'll take these to be processed. Do you mind uploading the photos?"

"Not at all."

Yes, leave me with the woman. She will not be much, but I will incite fear in her and feed from her distress. Just enough to complete my regeneration. Just a snack.

Already, I began to regain my vitality. My skin began to fill and heal over the muscles that expanded and organs that rehydrated. My eyes opened to the blinding sun above me.

No, not the sun. Something else. I mused at the gleaming glass orb that threatened to burn holes in my reborn retinas.

Another, this time pleasantly, familiar sound brought a wicked grin to my face. The sniffles of the woman.