32: A Brief Sabbatical

That man who will remain unnamed for now out of fury had managed to move elegantly from Barcelona to Bayern and yet I didn't seem able to make a similarly sideways move as there wasn't a single top job available. The only jobs that I would consider not a big step down were either of the Manchester teams or Bayern Munich and they all had stable relationships with their managers. To make matters worse, one of those managers was the man breathing down my neck in the English Hall of Fame with Troy Deeney doing great work at United since taking over and looking as though he was going to be there forever. Having said that, I had thought the year before that I could be at Barcelona forever and so never say never. But for now, I had to wait.

I did receive a few offers that summer of course, but none of them were with teams that had a hope of competing for trophies and I was determined not to have to step back down to a 'best of the rest' side. I had done my dues at that level with DL Yifang, Fiorentina, Lazio and Arsenal and I didn't want to have to return to those days of frustrating mediocrity again and so I turned them all down: Including a return to Lazio. 

When I was younger it almost seemed fashionable for the top managers to say they were taking a sabbatical from the game after leaving a big club and I was tempted to do the same myself. After having one final look of the job market at the end of the summer I decided to just that and headed off on holiday, telling my ever trusty assistant Jordan Pearson not to apply for any jobs and to leave me to drink and sulk in peace.