X. The Meaning of Freedom

Start from the beginning

"you shared your secret with me, i only returned your trust to the same extent." diluc stated.

"mondstadt really is the city of freedom, huh." you mumbled gazing out at the field of broken structures outside the tower.

venti smiled, hearing you. "mondstadt is a romantic city, without the region of a king. and the citizens enjoy the most freedom amongst the seven nations. i hope the dragon that once protected mondstadt will be free too... he has the right and freedom to choose his own way of life."

you blinked. "venti..."

"well then, may the thousands of years of wind that have been blown through mondstadt go with you." venti switched the topic. "just like last time, i shall channel my anemo energy for you."

"so it was you!" aether gasped. "no wonder aether said your voice sounded familiar." paimon added.

"alright, let's keep going, yeah?" you smiled slightly.  with everyone's approval you ventured beyond the walls.

you watched nervously as aether flew through the air. once he landed, dvalin disappeared into the clouds underneath the platform you were standing on.

you realised that if you fell from there, the chances of living through it almost seemed impossible.

there was a strong gust of wind and anemo energy charged at all of you, hitting the ground, causing all of you to be pushed back. you dug your nails into the ground as a way to stabilise yourself.

the wind gusts formed into a tornado that dispersed when dvalin flapped his wings, a roar leaving him.

you pulled out your polearm and gripped it tightly. the only goal in your mind was to help save dvalin.

after what felt like hours of fighting. the battle was over.

however, neither of you got to relax nor ask if everyone was okay as the structures started shaking.

"the place is going to collapse!" paimon cried out.

your heart skipped a beat when the structure you were standing on broke in half, you tried to hold onto something but you felt your body slide down until finally, you couldn't even reach it anymore.

'is this it?' you thought.

you couldn't help but think about everything you've done in your life, from how you got your vision, the horrible things you've done to your family.

tears formed in your eyes when you thought of them, you wished you were back home when everything was just fine.

there was a screech before you felt your body hit something hard yet... soft?

confused you turned your head to the side and saw that you were on top of dvalin. a relived shaky sigh left your mouth as you covered your eyes with your arm.

"thank the archons." you whispered, sitting upright.

you watched the ruins fall and gently played with dvalin fur, watching it change colours. "dvalin you look very pretty." you mumbled.

after arriving back home, you sat with venti on the barbatos statue, watching dvalin fly past the city of freedom. "thank you." you mumbled.

"hmm?" venti looked at you in confusion.

"thank you for letting me see what freedom really was about." you smiled. the bard giggled at your words. "you flatter me, [Y/N]."

"how's it in liyue? figured out who the geo archon is yet?" he asked playfully.

you snorted. "from the stories you tell about the geo archon, i don't think i need a boulder flying at me, venti."

venti laughed, "you'll be fine! he won't crush you or anything."

"say that to my flat body after i get crushed."

one day later...

you walked towards amber and aether. "hello!" you chirped.

"[Y/N]! come on let's go eat sticky honey roast with paimon!" the floating girl rushed to you, pulling your clothes.

"eh? why?" you question.

"because! paimons hungry!" she exclaimed stomping her foot on the air.

"paimon... you ate like... thirty minutes ago.." you mumbled terrified. nevertheless you went to to buy some food for her after aether talked to the locals, there, you met kaeya but you weren't as interested at what he was saying because you were scanning through the menu.

"... the abyss order has a name for this leader... they call her 'the princess.'" kaeya said. the information perked your interest. 'princess..?'

you waved at kaeya as he left and turned to amber, "one minute i see kaeya, the next he's slipped away! a clear sign of guilty conscience..."

aether laughed quietly. "but let's forget about him. i worked super hard today and my tummy is rumbling. let's order!" amber said ordering a sticky honey roast.

"now that stormterrors threat is behind us, what are your plans for the next step?" amber asked curiously.

"paimon thinks it's time to leave mondstadt, and keep looking through the seven nations until we find clues about his sister." paimon informed.

"huh, really? oh... well, i guess this is goodbye for now.." amber smiled sadly.

"i'll miss this place, i was getting so used to it too." you hummed looking up at the sky.

"hey don't feel down! you'll always be family to me!" amber chirped. your heart warmed up at her words.

"we'll come back and visit." aether said.

"that's right! remember, mondstadt will always welcome you." amber laughed. "let's dig in before the food gets cold."

after a nice meal you sighed in satisfaction. "so good~" paimon agreed.

"oh, i almost forgot to mention... jeans waiting for you at the cathedral. it's something to do with the holy lyre dee himmel... you'd better head right there now." amber informed.

you giggled anxiously. "uh oh.."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

i absolutely butchered that ending sorry i didn't know how to finish this chapter </3