XIV. Seeking Answers

Chapter Fourteen
Jayce

"Thank you for telling us, be sure to keep us posted." I tell Iris and Aylin, who both nod regretfully before ending their transmission, leaving me and my friends in silence.

"I hate that our people still have to live off of Imperial rations, it makes it feel like they're still in control of Taris." Ragnar says, his fists clenched at his sides in frustration and anger.

This feeling is shared by Leia, who stands by the side of my throne and shakes her head. "I hate it as much as anyone, but what else is there to do? Taris can't grow it's own food, even when it was thriving. Neither can Mandalore. The planets that could grow their own food have their resources depleted. The Empire made sure the galaxy was completely in their control, and even with them physically gone, it will take a while for us all to fully regain our independence back."

"Even longer if we're right about the Emperor." Luke mumbles. We decided to bring Ragnar and Han into the fold, knowing that if we're going to be successful in ruling Taris together, then we must not keep secrets from one another, especially ones as great as the possibility of the Emperor being alive.

Han, who has been sitting on the floor playing with the child, asks: "What's your progress with finding him, by the way?"

"Not great." Luke sighs, running his metal hand through his hair, giving me a side eye.

"Even with both of us meditating we haven't found any answers," I clarify, turning my gaze to my fiancé. "We were actually hoping you would join us, Leia. Maybe then we could find something."

Her eyes widen and then she immediately begins to object. "I've never done that before—"

"No time like the present to learn."

She gives me a smirk and then nods, stepping away from my throne to stand closer to her brother. As she does so, Ragnar steps closer, an earnestness in his eyes that gets my full attention.

"I want to go to Cardellia and see this Killian Balor. If he is getting rations to supply to the New Republic then I want to help. And perhaps while we're raiding Imperial ships we could interrogate the troopers and see if any of them will disclose the Empire's hidden utopia of resources."

It's better than waiting for rations and for other planet's resources to grow back. I nod to my advisor, offering him an encouraging smile. "Yes, go. Hopefully your endeavors and ours will provide much needed answers."

Ragnar bows his head to me. "Thank you, my king."

I place my hand over my heart. "We are one."

He does the same. "We are one."

When Ragnar exits the throne room, I turn to Han. "Have you gotten an update from Holly?"

"With the Quarren fighting with the Empire, the fighting on Mon Cala has gotten much harder. She and our troops are having a hard time fending them off and keeping the capital in our hands." He answers, transferring the child over to Luke to play with, who does so gladly. Luke and the child begin a game of catch using the force, passing back and forth one of Leia's earrings, which she reluctantly provided for the game.

I think Luke welcomes the distraction of looking after the child. I can sense the unease and worry within him about Holly. As general of Taris she's been at the forefront of the fighting while Luke has been here. Not only does he want to be apart of the action, but he wants to have his wife's back and help her win this enduring battle. I told him he could go to Mon Cala, but apparently Holly has forbid him from doing anything until we have sorted out the Emperor situation. Luke reluctantly agreed. Hopefully he'll be able to go help her soon, or better get yet, the tide will turn in our favor and the battle on Mon Cala will be won.