The Journey

"For the last time, China, the answer is no. I don't want to have to block your number over this so please just listen."

Russia said in an exhausted and annoyed voice, cutting off yet another desperate plea from China for Russia to make one last visit to his dying father.

"Russia, it's been weeks since I told you how sick he is, and he's gotten so much worse since then. Please, don't waste the last few days fighting with me and hating him."

China tried one last time, keeping his voice hushed so he wouldn't wake USSR from his much needed sleep. He slept most of the day by now, and barely left the bed. China could tell some part of him wanted this to just be over already, the proud man would have much preferred a quick, dignified death. He still managed to hold on though, and it was obvious he only did so out of hope to see his son again.

"I don't care, he already got to see Ukraine didn't he?"
Russia asked bitterly, somewhat annoyed with her for caving and visiting her brother even after how badly he'd mistreated her in the past.

"Yes, she and Georgia were here last week- but his sister isn't the same as his firstborn son. Do you really want things to end like this?"

China replied, running out of patience himself, and both men stayed silent for a long time. Long enough that China was sure Russia had hung up. He'd probably blocked his number, too.

"Of course I don't, I wanted him to be a proper father, someone I'd actually WANT to say goodbye to."

Russia finally sighed, unlike China he wasn't having this conversation alone, and a weak East Germany gave his hand a weak squeeze from where he was lying in a hospital beside Russia. He was in nearly the same state as USSR, and neither Russia nor his brother West Germany had left his side for very long recently.

"I have my reasons for not coming, ok?"

Russia continued and China nodded a bit, but wouldn't hang up without giving one last shot at convincing him.

"I understand. Would you at least agree to a phone call with him?"

China asked and East Germany gave Russia a meaningful look he knew all too well and sighed again.

"I'll think about it. Bye China."

Russia said and flicked his phone shut before China had a chance to reply. China was left staring at the phone in his hand, emitting nothing but a soft buzz, until he set it down and rubbed his eyes tiredly. He needed sleep.
.

.

.

Two days later, Russia was on a train heading away from West Berlin, where he'd been staying with the German twins, and towards Moscow. He felt out of place on the train, surrounded by his own countrymen and once again in his homeland, after getting acclimated to living in Germany. He'd even picked up a good amount of the language, so Russian now sounded odd to him, even if he still understood the words. He was shaken out of his thoughts by a small child tugging on his sleeve with wide, curious eyes, but the mother quickly scooped her up with an apologetic smile.

 "Sorry about that, she's too curious and has too much energy for her own good." 

The woman explained, in a language Russia recognized as not quite his own. He nodded sympathetically, but couldn't help but reply with a question.

"It's no trouble. Say, you wouldn't happen to be from Ukraine are you?" 

He asked in his best attempt at speaking his aunt's language, both so similar yet subtly different from Russian. 

"I am, I'm surprised you speak the language to be honest, you sound like a born and bred Muscovite." 

The woman said with a bit of a friendly tease in her tone. Russia softly chuckled, and looked out the window with a mix of emotions in his eyes.

 "I am, but I have family from there. I'm mostly glad to hear you using your own language again."

 He explained, somehow both happy and sad to see the evidence of his father's union so quickly fading away. The woman simply smiled and nodded in agreement, distracted by keeping her daughter from getting into even more mischief. Russia sighed and leaned back in his seat to try and nap to pass the time during the rest of the trip. It seemed like a better option than dwelling on what he would possibly say to USSR once he arrived, or the suspicion that this would all be one big mistake. Drowsiness seemed to ease his anxiety, though, as the sound of the Ukrainian woman humming to her child lulled both the little girl and Russia to sleep.