𝐟𝗼𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

Start from the beginning

"Hi, kiddo," Mr. Santos smiled warmly, putting a tray of steak on the table.

Kaylina smiled the biggest she'd ever smiled. "Hi, dad," she rushed, throwing her arms around her dad.

It felt so real, so warm.

Mr. Santos stumbled at the abrupt hug, but chuckled. "What's with the sudden hug, sweetie?" he asked, hugging his only daughter.

"I missed all of you," Kaylina muttered, smiling up at her dad.

Mr, Santos blinked at his daughter before looking at her brothers. "What did you guys do to her? Why is she acting so weird?" he questioned her brothers sternly, "Don't tell me you used her as a lab rat again."

All of her brothers threw their hands up in defence as they sat at the table, murmuring their pleas of innocence. Everyone sat down at the table and began to eat as they conversed.

"So, any plans for this summer?" Mr. Santos asked, cutting into his steak.

Dylan, Arlo and Jaylen all began talking at the same time about their summer plans.

Mr. Santos sighed. "One at a time," he drawled.

Kaylina let out a chuckle because it was just like she remembered.

"Kaylina, how could you do that to us?" Mrs. Santos spoke seriously, standing up from her seat.

Suddenly the clouds turned grey as the sun disappeared in the clouds.

Kaylina blinked, her veins ran like ice. "What?" she uttered.

"You let that bad man walk free when he did this to us?" Dylan sneered.

Kaylina blinked once and all her family members were covered in blood, just like how they were when she saw them lifeless on the floor.

They were all standing, inching towards her with lifeless expressions.

Kaylina felt her heartbeat increase as she stood from her seat, the sudden warmth in her heart turned stone cold as she felt tears pool in her eyes.

"You did this to us," Jaylen scowled, blood dripping from his head.

"You're a monster," Mr. Santos spat blood on the floor.

"You're worthless," Arlo spoke, a gunshot wound in his eye as it oozed with blood.

"No— no— I'm sorry— I didn't— I tried, guys— I'm so sorry—" Kaylina whimpered, a tear rolling down her cheek as her hands began to shake.

"You're a traitor."

She spun around to see the two identical redheads she used to call best friends.

"You're a slut and you betrayed us all," Fred snarled, his lip curling.

Kaylina was trapped.

Her family looked lifeless as they shouted vile things at her, things about how she failed whilst her best friends did the same. She had tears pouring down her cheeks as she tried to speak, but no words came out.

Her heart was racing, her muscles froze as she felt paralyzed.

"I'm sorry!" Kaylina shouted, "I tried— I didn't mean to fail you!"

With a deep gasp, Kaylina's eyes shot open as she shot up from the blonde boy's arms.

Her eyes scanned the room frantically, the fire was out— her face sweaty as she breathed heavily, her hand on her chest.