Chapter 36: Unexpected, Warming Reunion

Year 2025, January 15th. Japan Standard Time, 8:00am.. Honda Residence in Sakura, Chiba.

Koharu's POV

I woke up, just knowing that I'm in my mother's embrace, as I was being able to sleep soundly since yesterday. I could feel the cuddle is still tight around me.

Koharu: Mother...

I slowly try to adjust myself from the embrace. Not to disturb her too much. The hug eventually loosen a bit and I was able to get out without waking her up. After getting up from the bed, I smile a bit and give a kiss on her cheek. As I was able to sleep well because of her presence.

Koharu: Sleep well.. Mom..

I slowly open the door and head back to my room to get myself changed on my outfit and refresh myself. Brush my teeth, showering, hair combing. Suddenly, I started to miss the days when I was just a high school student before getting the nervegear through a lucky draw in some Game Stores... Before the whole disaster ever happen.

Flashback...

"Mom! I'm home!"

That was the usual, old me with the attitude of the happy-go-lucky and enjoys my life with my mother, Haruna. Every time when I just got back home. I always set my shoes to the side before rushing to give a daily evening hug to my mom. She replies back happily but calmly.

"Geez.. You never fail to surprise me.. Koharu.."

She never gets mad at me or even raises her voice once.. Instead, she showers me a lot with her love, especially with that blissful smile of hers. Always lead me to the right way, by reading my mind through physical interaction.. Regardless of the influence from the society.

*Drip*

A cold tear dropped out from my face, ended up dripped on the back of my palm. Then several tears dropped into the sink. Grief that I could no longer be the same happy-go-lucky girl that my mom always expecting me to be.. I hate that..

Koharu: I'm sorry.. Mom..

Despite of that.. Despite of me apologizing to her for a countless times.. She always comfort me no matter what.. That's why I don't want to make her sad again..

Koharu: ..Hm?

Then, I heard a sound from my phone.

*Phone notification sound*

I went out from the bathroom with a towel on my hair. Picked up the phone as soon as I heard a notification sound. Noticing an icon of a message in the SMS. I opened the chat. An image pop up that got me completely shocked.

Koharu: !!

I gasped silently with my mouth covered as I could not believe it at all.. Trying to suppressed my surprised reaction. Then, that's when I just received a message this time. I went silent in the end after reading it.

Koharu: ...

Meanwhile... Lai's Apartment Complex in Kashiwa, Chiba.

*Boom!* *Click!* *Click!* *Boom!* *Click!* *Click!*

Lai's POV

A 12-gauge Shotgun Shell just got ejected from the Mossberg 500 while another one touches on the ground. The sound of the satisfying shell drop is always like a music to my ears, although the gun is still loud af. I grab two shells at a time, forming a row and push in, loading two shells at a time with Dual Load technique. I just remember it's been 4 years since I started taking care of this place. Every time when School's over, taking care the firearms was always the first thing I have to do before the chores, also prohibited to use any of it for any reasons of course. But I did it without asking why, since this is my home as well. And I could barely squeeze some free time for video games.