Chapter 23 - Christmas Day [Part 1]

Start from the beginning

If I think I'm being smart, I'm not. He scoffs, "I don't think so. The last time you chose the film we were both so bored we fell asleep."

Folding my arms over my chest, I eye him with exasperation. Horror movies weren't exactly the perfect genre for Christmas Day and I just know he won't pick something remotely festive. Before I get a chance to argue, George hands me a knife and walks straight past me, lightly pulling on my skirt. In another life, I'd put the cake down, stomp my foot and make him to it. Today, rolling my eyes while I get our plates seems like a victory in itself.

With the cold plates in my hands, I timidly walk into the living room eyeing the television skeptically. My eyes widen in excitement as I see the beginning of Mulan.

"This is my favourite Disney film!"

George smirks, his eyes finding my skirt before returning to my face, "Mine too."

Absentmindedly handing him a plate, I plant myself on the opposite couch. My eyes are glued to the TV as I hear him clear his throat loudly. Confused, I turn to see him pointing at the space next to him. I offer him a small smile and jump to my new seat before throwing my legs over his. An audible, and fake, scoff is heard but I happily ignore it as I give my attention to the film.

I'm not sure how many films we watch in this position but the cake is long gone. George is quiet throughout them all until we're half way through the current movie. He shift slightly, rubbing my legs, before clearing his throat and speaking.

"Listen," well, that doesn't sound good, "I know we said no presents because - well, let's face it - we're a weird pair and who knows what... I mean, we're not big on presents..." Okay, George, get to your point quicker. "But I got you something. Something small. For you."

Biting my bottom lip, I take in his nervousness for a silent second before I giggle. Turning my body to fully face his, I nod, "Me too."

In response, George offers me the cheeky smile I've gown to enjoy. As quick as the smile comes, he's up and running to his bedroom. The floorboards are the only audible evidence I have of where he is in the house.

When he returns, George holds a box in his hands. I feel rather accomplished as I reach behind the sofa and lift my gift from its hiding place. I know I look smug, I want to, as I take in his amused and almost betrayed look on his face.

Filled with confidence, I instruct, "Open yours first."

George eyes me and the gift warily before nodding. He unwraps the silver wrapping paper away from the plain black box. It gives nothing away, no hints, about what is placed inside. He tilts his head, glaring at me mockingly, as he opens the box. When his eyes land on what's inside, all traces of humour or amusement are snatched from his face. He stays still, staring at what lays inside. After a few quiet moments, the usually snarky boy looks at me while shaking his head. My eyebrows furrow, not expecting this reaction, as I wonder what he could possibly be arguing with me about.

"I can't accept—"

I scoff, "It's a gift. You can't choose whether or not to accept it."

His pupils glide over to the gift again. Inside the box is a gold watch, something I had seen in the corner of my eye one time while shopping and I had instantly imagined it on George. The watch, like George, had drawn me in. Plus, George was obsessed with being on time for things - especially plans we shared - and now he had a new watch to do that with.

George places the box next to him on the couch as he reaches out to pull me close. Face to face, he stares with eyes holding something I hadn't seen before. An unknown emotion shining through.

"What am I going to do with you?"

I smile, almost embarrassed now, "Is that your idea of a 'thank you'?"

Like he always does when he's overwhelmed, George closes his eyes while breathing out a thank you. "You shouldn't have—"

Interrupting him, I confess, "You're my best friend." At my statement, his eyes burst open to stare straight through mine. His tongue slips over his bottom lip, wetting it, as he takes in my admission. "Whether or not you agree, or you think I'm wrong, you're my best friend."

He groans, the sound coming from his chest, as he looks away. A sting hits my chest but soothes instantly as he tells me to open my present. Inside the purple wrapping paper is a box that tells me straight away what's inside. My eyes widen as I see the white polaroid camera, a light and soft noise of awe leaving my mouth. With it comes 40 shots, giving me s tarting point. I'd seen these online. I'd searched for them and researched the best ones. These were expensive.

"You're going to have to say something..."

Looking up at my best friend, I'm at a loss for words. Yes, I think of him as my closest friend. Did I think he thought of me like that? No. Did I think he'd know what I liked or what I would love to have for Christmas? Not really. I hadn't thought about what he might get me, I'd focused on what to get him. What he would like. I feel silly at the overwhelming emotion that fills me and clear my throat.

"And you think we're not best friends?"

George smirks, nearly smiles, at my remark, "Is that your idea of a 'thank you'?" He mocks me while removing the box from my hands and pulling me close once again.

I shoot back, "Is that your way of avoiding the topic?" He shakes his head, closes his eyes, and rests his forehead against mine.

We rest like that for a few moments, both caught up in what just happened, before he replies, "Can a boy and girl be best friends?"

Instant, "Of—"

"Really. Really be best friends?"

"Of course."

George scoffs at my decisiveness, "Give me an amazing example, princess."

Okay... Okay. "George and Luna."

That gets a smile. I can see his white teeth slightly from how wide his grin is at my comment. Not surprisingly, his hands find my skirt, bunching it up before giving in.

"Fine, best friends. For now."

Rolling my green eyes, I ignore his pessimistic ignorance of our friendship. How silly was this boy?

-----------------------------

I rewrote this really, really quickly so there are probably a few errors here and there. I'll have a re-read tomorrow. 

This is part one of their Christmas. 

What do you think of George's attitude towards their friendship?

Chapter 24 coming tomorrow! :)