XVIII. FOREVER...(is a long time)

Start from the beginning

Besides, I hadn't seen Alaric in weeks, and I missed him, too.

The look on her face changed from worry to relief, her lips curving into a grin. "Please."

___________________________

I turned the corner, stopping in front of Alaric's apartment complex, before opening up the front door, walking into a man ready to head outside with his dog. "Oh uh - sorry.." I mumbled, stepping aside. The dog - instantly upon spotting me - began to bark, growling and snarling, like it knew I was dangerous, that his owner should be afraid.

I froze there for a moment, as his owner let out a chuckle. "He doesn't bite, I promise. C'mon Sampson," He gave the leash a slight tug, before flashing me a smile, moving by to get out. I smiled back, a little too late, and glanced over my shoulder, watching the both of them walk off.

"But, oh, does she bite." My brows knitted at the familiar voice, turning to find the eldest Salvatore brother standing on the staircase, nearly halfway down.

My lips parted, sucking in a sharp breath, taken back by his presence. I hadn't seen him since I had said and done all of those awful things, and looking at him now was hard. It was almost like deja vu, seeing him up there, looking down at me, because that was how I was supposed to have been standing, waiting for him to escort me to dance.

"Damon.."

"Was that Tyler?" He quipped jokingly, before heading down the rest of the steps. "I had no idea he lived here.."

I mustered up a smile, actually thinking that maybe he wanted anything to do with me. "Hi," was all that would come out, as he stopped to stand in front of me.

"Excuse me, Lys." He coldly said, trying to cover up that he was hurt, though I could see it in his eyes. I always could.

Before I could say anything, he moved past me, and left, leaving me with a choice to make. I could go upstairs, to Alaric's and see Stefan, or I could turn around and follow Damon.

A heavy sigh escaped me, as I too, walked out of the apartment complex, and I didn't know if I was walking out because I didn't want to confront Stefan, or because I couldn't turn my back on Damon, again. I guessed it was probably both.

I spotted his car parked across the street, watching him get inside, before following. Opening up the passenger's side door, I slipped inside, and shut it, not sure at all what I was doing, what I was thinking. I just couldn't let him walk away.

"What - what are you doing?" Damon asked, from beside me, and it took a lot of strength to glance over at him.

"I don't..I don't know..." I responded, and when I looked at him, I remembered all of the times that I'd touched my hand to his face, the times that we'd hugged, the times that he'd held me when I thought life couldn't get any worse, and then again when they did get worse.

I looked away from him, and we didn't speak for a few minutes, just sat in the car, watching strangers pass by. "Do you hate me?" It almost came out as a whisper, because I was afraid to hear the answer.

"You know I can't hate you, Lyssa." He replied, and I should feel better, but I don't.

"Are you mad at me?" I continued, this time looking at him as I asked.