XI. ELEVEN MINUTES

I sat on the window seat in the comfort of my bedroom, staring out at the darkness that blanketed my neighborhood, the only glimmer of light coming from the few street lamps. I let out a soft sigh, pulling the blanket I had draped around me, closer.

"Thank you for telling me," Elena said, glancing over at me from my bed. "I was so quick to judge you, when I had no idea.."

I had gone home - pretended not to see her kissing Damon - and told her about, everything, and she did the same, for the most part. She told me about how she found out that Klaus had killed his own mother, and I had to sit there, in shock, feeling incredibly stupid because that was something he was supposed to have told me - I mean, he killed his own blood.

"It's fine.." I briefly said, dismissing her apology.

"No, it's not fine." She sat up straight, tossing her legs over the edge. "I was so angry at you for saving Klaus, when I had no idea that you were doing it for Damon." I furrowed my brows, wondering what she was talking about. "Stefan told us everything. If you hadn't have saved Klaus, then his hybrids would've killed Damon and.." She sighed, shaking her head, as if the thought of losing Damon was too hard to imagine.

It was like I was looking back into the past ; at myself.

But, I had no idea what she was talking about. I had no idea that the hybrids would've killed Damon - I'd just saved Klaus, because I cared about him. But, if what Elena was saying - then why was Stefan so cold to me when we talked on the phone?

The old me would've walked over and hugged her, but now, I just sat there, unsure of what to do ; uncomfortable. Maybe, it was because I'd just seen her kissing the guy that she'd told me over and over again, to stay away from ; her boyfriend's brother.

I never expected that from Elena, never expected that she would lie to my face. The moment made me think of Elijah, reminded of how much he'd valued honesty. I wondered if he knew the truth about his mother's death.

"What's this?" Elena had hopped off of my bed, and walked over to the bulletin board above my desk, picking up a familiar card from it. In Elena's hand was a tarot card that I'd gotten months ago, from when I'd been in New Orleans with Klaus, that I'd tacked to my board. "Is Bonnie trying to channel Miss Cleo?"

I laughed, getting up from my seat and walking over to Elena. "No," I explained, as she handed over the card to me. "I uhh - I got this from a psychic in New Orleans..when I was with Klaus."

She nodded, as I glanced away from her, looking back down at the card. Depicted in vibrant colors, were a man and a woman holding two golden cups to one another, touching hands, a rainbow emanating from around them.

I sat in the center of a small room at a table, watching the woman across from me shuffle a deck of cards in her hands ; a so-called psychic. A year ago I would've called her bluff, but with knowing all that lurked in the world, I thought why not? Maybe she was a liar, maybe a con, but maybe she wasn't. Besides, I was in New Orleans, there was no way I was going to pass up getting my fortune told.

The woman across from me wasn't like the psychics you'd see in movies. Her name was Gwen and she was young, with beautiful long black hair, contrasting with her incredibly fair skin. She wore a long black dress, with matching sharp nails that clacked against the cards as she shuffled them.