Chapter 5: Birds and Deliveries

It's been thirty minutes and the delivery guy still hasn't arrived.

If I just keep staring at my laptop, he won't bother me.

He's been on his phone the entire time while I was doing "homework" on my laptop. He's too occupied to notice that none of the teachers gave homework because of the long weekend.

"Wala pa rin? he asks.

"Nope. My phone hasn't received any notifications. I would ring if it did."

"Huh. What if it's dead?"

Oh no.

My heart started to pound. I reached out my hand to check on my phone. My soul left my body. It was dead.

"Fuck! This whole time?"

"Yikes. Better get out there and check on it."

"Uh, y-yeah, right away."

I got up too quickly and forgot that I had my laptop on me, and no, it did not fall because I caught it.

"Shit! Oh no. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to swear."

I look at him and he's back on his phone like he didn't notice me.

Whatever, loser.

I left the room and headed for the back door of the clinic. The nurse said that she left it unlocked, since we were still inside and the door was out of plain sight. All the lights were turned off but the emergency exit signs were glowing green and illuminated the place a bit. It was almost completely dark, but I still managed my way out the back door. 

I headed towards the campus gate where I spotted the delivery guy just arriving.

Thank goodness, he just got here.

"For Sir Alec, po?"

"Yes, that's me!"

He stared a bit at me and smiled, "Okay, just a second, po, sir."

He took out the paper bags and checked the receipt. There were two bags. "Here you go, sir."

He handed one to me and stopped for a second. Out of his pocket, he took out a marker and started writing on the paper bag.

What's he doing?

After he finished writing, he handed the bag to me, still smiling.

"Um, thank you...?"

"You're welcome po, sir."

As I reached for the other bag, he noticed my not-so-purple-anymore wrist.

"Sir, are you alright, po? That looks like it's painful," he asks.

"Oh, yeah. It's nothing. It was worse a while ago, but it's a bit better now."

He nods skeptically and turns to his motorcycle.

I turned around and started to walk away.

"Uh, sir?"

I stop and look back, "Yes?"

"Yung bayad niyo po."

What the hell is wrong with me?

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I totally forgot about it."

I reached for my wallet inside my pocket.

"Okay lang po yun, sir."