I pick it up and am suddenly unsure. Do I look who it is, or is it rude to go through her private messages? I know what's the morally right thing to do, but as they say: curiosity killed the cat.

I press the screen and the phone immediately lights up, showing a shit-ton of messages from Alex and one missed call. Why has he been trying to reach her?

I try to swipe to see what it is he's written to her, but it denies access as you need FaceID to see those. Curse these damn phones. I throw the phone back on the bed in frustration, but then I feel dumb.

What's wrong with me? Why does it matter if Quackity has been messaging her or not? Why should it bother me? It's not my problem. I'm not her brother or boyfriend. I wince at the last thought.

I shake my head. But I am her best friend and I have a duty to protect her from shitty friends. But Alex isn't a shitty friend, he's one of my closest friends. He's awesome.

So why am I reacting this way?

Y/n POV:

I turn off the hairdryer, the sudden silence ringing in my ears. Gosh, why do they have to be so loud? Someone should really pursue some technology update on those things. I don't know, I'm an English major, I don't do that kind of stuff.

I shrug it off and plug the hairdryer out of the wall, putting it in a drawer. Just when I close the drawer my stomach growls very loudly. 'Right on cue' I think and smile.

I pull my hands through my hair, giving it a light shake before checking it in the mirror one last time. 'Good enough' I say to my own reflection before walking towards the door, turning the cold metal handle. The door creaks as I pull it open and I gently shut it behind me. I walk down the short hallway to the living room, walking straight past it to get to the kitchen.

I pull the handle to the fridge and am not taken aback by the many monster cans staring back at me. I just push them aside in my search for some food, finding some eggs and butter.

Looks like scrambled eggs are the only thing on the menu today. And of course, some monsters to match it with. I sigh and start preparing the kitchen to cook.

~~~

I'm in the middle of washing the pan I used for the eggs when I hear footsteps behind me, followed by a low whistle.

"That looks good, can I have some?" Karl's voice asks. I turn my head to look at him, and he's staring back at me with puppy eyes.

I sigh. "Of course, it's your eggs anyways, just save some for me and Sapnap" I nod.

"Woo!" He jumps around a bit and grabs a plate from a cabinet to my right.

"Also, you should go grocery shopping more often. The state of your fridge still worries me" I glance at him with raised brows and he pulls a face.

I just shake my head and go back to washing the pan. The sound of a monster cracking open behind me is the only evidence that Karl is still there. Moments later Sap also steps into the kitchen.

"Good morning idiots," He says and I notice his morning voice sounds really raspy. And deep. When did he grow up to be this young man standing before me? It feels like it was just yesterday he had his ninth birthday.