Chapter 1

"Faster!" Yukiko shouted as her kunai clashed with Kyo's. Kyo twisted his body to the side sending a roundhouse kick to her stomach, catching her off guard. She doubled over coughing and when she looked up Kyo was gone. Yukiko looks around for her opponent only to feel the knife's tip pointing to the back of her neck. Looking back she saw Kyo, his knife pointed at her neck.

"I win." There was pride in his voice. He finally beaten her, after years of sparring he's won. However his smile quickly faded when a knife pressed against his throat. The yukiko in front of him disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"Almost but not quite." Yukiko said as she removed the knife from his throat and placed it back in her tool pouch.

"A Shadow doppelganger? You're the one who said no jutsu during spars." Kyo was a bit mad that Yukiko used jutsu during the match but more so at himself for not noticing. After all the kick would have been dodged if it really was her.

"Not anymore. After all you are officially genin. In a few days you'll be assigned a cell." Yukiko brushed some of her brown hair behind her ear and smile down at the black haired boy.

"Could have told me that." He adjusted the eyepatch over his right eye; it had slipped down during the fight, his visible pale one stared up at her.

"Have you decided where to wear your headband." She asked as they headed inside their home. She couldn't believe that he was already a shinobi. Although she became a konichi at the same age it seemed like only a few weeks ago he was a taking his first steps. His parents would be proud.

"I think I'll have it remade into a glove like yours." The genin replied nodding to the glove on Yukiko's right-hand. She had it remade a few years ago after her team had... after their last mission together.

"Why not wear it over your eye instead of the eye patch," she suggested moving to the kitchen to make dinner for the two.

The boy stares at her, a smug expression on his face. "Why so I can look like Kakashi-sensei?" Sarcasm drips from his voice. Yukiko glared at the boy and turned to prepare the nights meal. "Take the patch off. Constantly wearing it causes marks, remember?" She called out chopping vegetables preparing miso soup.

"Do you know what cell I'll be put into?" Kyo asked getting comfortable in the living room. "I'm not supposed to tell you." She replied. When a shinobi in training graduates from the ninja academy they are placed in four man teams, known as cells, with two other genin and a joinen till they all become chunin.

"You'll find out in two days so be patient." She said focusing on her cooking.

When she was done she filled two bowls and took them to the living room where Kyo patiently waited. His eye patch laid on the table while his eyes were closed, thinking. When Yukiko placed the bowls on the table's flat surface, the sound caused Kyo to open his eyes; the left eye a pale lavender and his right a black, proof of his split family heritage. However his brow furrowed, he must have been thinking about something.

Yukiko sat on the other side of the table then the young teen. "What's the problem don't like my cooking any more?" She asked the younger boy teasingly. Trying to lighten the suddenly serious shinobi.

With a shake of his head he looked at her, "I'm going to have to keep my sharingan a secret from my team aren't I?" He asked, seriousness in his voice, his hand brushing his black hair out of his right eye.

'So that what's troubling him.' As far as most people knew he had only inherited his father's byakugan and that Kyo's right eye didn't work. Only a few such as herself, Kakashi, Lord Third and a few other knew that Kyo also possess the sharingan eye. His parents didn't want the rest of the village to know that he had been born with both, it was their dying wish. So Kyo always had to wear the eye patch in public. And was only known to be a Hyuga by other kids, and most adults.

"For a time," she says, "but I'm sure one day you won't have to keep your eyes a secret." She smiled at Kyo lightening his mood.

"Yeah your right." He smiles back. "Besides I need some tricks up my sleeve." Kyo said with a wolfish grin.

Yukiko giggles and the pair eat their food and go to bed.