𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

katsumi stood in between eijun and furuya, her head held up high. it was the first day of the new team, the first day of kazuya being captain.

"those who went back to their parents' homes and those left in the dorms. although a lot has happened, all 59 members of the first and second years gathered. but there is no generation that can match the growth of the retired third years." kataoka spoke. "even during practice, all of them kept their spirits high and focused on baseball. that is how they became so strong. it is my fault as the coach for not letting them reap the rewards. you too should not forget the regrets of that loss."

"yes, sir!"

"now, some words from the new captain." takashima smiled. everyone turned to face kazuya as he walked in front of the team. he bit his lip nervously, turning to face oota.

"um, what should i say?" he whispered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"greet them! just keep it short and simple." oota whisper yelled.

"booo! do it properly, acting leader!" eijun yelled. haruichi chuckled nervously and katsumi kicked the pither's calf. "agh- katsumi!" the girl ignored him, clapping softly for kazuya.

"erm, then... to be honest, i'm still bewildered but anyway... a word." kazuya said.

"can't hear you!" katsumi pulled eijun's head into a headlock, slapping a hand over his mouth.

"most likely... i won't be able to forget that game for the rest of my life." kazuya spoke loudly. he glanced towards katsumi, quickly looking away. "i know our inexperience. i also know that our opponent's strong. more than anything else, this is the first time i feel baseball's frightening."

katsumi tensed up, eyes wide. "although i feel sorry for the retired third years... we still have another year to get our revenge..." he looked back to katsumi, eyes constricting. "i want us to be ravenous for victory until the very end."

katsumi smirked, 'we're the only ones who can avenge our senpai...'

"now.. i intend to say everything i want to." kazuya deadpanned. katsumi giggled and everyone else gaped at him. "then let's start with the warmup."

"huh?! can't hear you captain~!! with that voice!!" maezono smirked at kazuya.

"first, the warm up!!" kazuya yelled, cheeks dusted a rosy pink. katsumi grinned and the team started jogging around the field. katsumi passed her teammates, running in between kuramochi and maezono.

"think it'd be- be bad for me to p- pass up the captain?" katsumi smirked up at her senpai. kuramochi cackled and maezono smirked.

"nah, give him somethin' to work for. just don't push yourself." maezono smirked. katsumi giggled, speeding up to catch up with kazuya.

"still pretty slow for a captain." she murmured. kazuya jumped, scowling down at katsumi. she cackled, a sound that made kuramochi and maezono slow down a bit in shock.

"woah- did katsumi just... cackle?" maezono muttered.

"she sounds just like miyuki.." kuramochi deadpanned.

"good grief.." the two muttered, dread overcoming them at the thought of a second kazuya.

˚* ੈ✩‧₊

katsumi frowned at the aching in her knee. she was in the batting cages with some of her teammates, the sound of metal bats hitting baseballs filled her ears. she swung forward, only using a small fraction of her power as to not agitate her injury.