Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

It must’ve been difficult for Devin to understand.  But I’m almost certain he’s smart enough to figure it out.  He’s always been an exceptionally smart kid; always getting A’s.  I suppose the only thing I was good at was getting in trouble and being a burden on everyone.

I don’t think I ever got closure from what happened to dad.   Everything moved too fast after he died, as if he faded into the background and was forgotten.  I think subconsciously I resent mum for that though.  Though I shouldn’t, since she kept everything together, and did her best to keep us a family.  Even though she had to put Murphy up for adoption when we were just born.  She believed that having three boys would have been too much, but then she ended up having Devin anyway.

Murphy was my twin brother.  Which was another secret that crypt-keeper Riley let slip in one of our many arguments.  I had a twin brother who probably knew about us as much as I did, maybe even less.  I often think of what he would be like.  Calm and relaxed all the time, or energetic and uptight all the time?  Or was he just like me…?

I might have had the balls to say stuff about my fake dads, but I couldn’t even think of the word ‘twin’ when talking to my mum.   Heaven-forbid she ever found out that I knew about him…  One day though…  One day I’m going to find him and see what he’s been doing all his life.

“Will?”  Devin’s small voice echoed in my thoughts, and for a moment I thought I was hallucinating.

“Will… Are you mad?”  Devin tried again, and this time I realized he was standing in the doorframe to my bedroom…  When did he get there?

I thought for a second, I really wasn’t sure what I was feeling at the moment, “No, Dev, no.  I’m fine.  Are you okay?”

He hesitated, then just stood there, his mouth was open and I could see his crooked little teeth and one of his canines was coming in while the baby one was still there.

“I’m confused, Will.  I don’t know what to do anymore.”  He stated quietly, but certainly.

I looked at him from across my room.  Sadness filled his eyes to the point where I thought he was about to cry.  I was dumbfounded. I heard myself clear my throat, and without thinking I was by his side, my arms wrapped around him protectively.  His head placed right beneath my chin.  He seemed almost as surprised as I was that I was hugging him, but he didn’t hesitate to hug back.

He buried his head into my shirt and let loose, “I don’t know Will!  I don’t know!  I wanna be someone, something.  I wanna help people and be nice and support people.  But I’m lost.  I’m lost like a boat in a storm.  Everything seems like a storm now!”  He sobbed.

“What do you mean, Dev?  Nothing has changed…” I tried, but realized I wasn’t helping anything.

“I’m lost.”  He repeated, tears soaking my shirt.  He sounded defeated, as if he’d been finding this battle for a long while, and finally surrendered.

“Here, listen.”  I put his against my chest so he could hear my heartbeat, “As long as we’re all alive, everything will be okay.”

He stopped crying as my calm heartbeat soothed him.  I could understand that he was lost.  I felt much the same, but I couldn’t let him know that.  I could go talk to a counselor at school or something if I needed it that bad, but another thing about Dev was he was much like Riley in that aspect.  Never opened up about anything.

“Are you sure Will?  Are you sure we’ll be okay?”  He looked up at me, eyes red.

“Yes.”  I was almost surprised, that I didn’t hesitate or sound unsure.

Devin split away from me as if he’d realized that he didn’t like opening up.  He rubbed his eyes, then sat on my bed, looking at me from across the room.  A heavy silence blanketed the room uncomfortably.  He looked down and put his hands in between his legs, his universally “uncomfortable” stance.

“What’s wrong?  What’s wrong Dev, what are you not telling me?”  I watched him carefully for his response.

“I’m just not sure what to believe.  It feels like I don’t know anything, but I’m okay with being ignorant.  I think I’ll just sit on this thought for a while…  But I was just thinking about your supposed twin as well as other things.  I was wondering about your feelings on the subject.  You don’t really seem like you’re eager to find him.”  He stated, seemingly trying to get the attention off of himself.

“I think it would be better if I didn’t look for him right now.  There are too many things going on.  But that doesn’t make me any less eager to meet him someday.  What about you?”  I countered.

“I do have to admit it would be pretty awesome having older twin brothers…” He said it carefully, but there was an undertone of excitement, “Well, I have to go do my homework now.”

He left my room in a better mood, even smiling a little when he passed me.  I suppose that was a brother’s job. Of course, I had homework as well, but I wasn’t going to do it.  Perhaps later.  I had to buy dinner and try to make it up to mum somehow…  Was Dave going to be back tonight?