Chapter 1

Lucas

I stand outside the small bakery on corner of Sutton in complete awe. The brick building was painted white, but swirls of color creeped up the walls and little handprints decorated the exterior. A small smile tugged at my lips picturing the neighborhood kids leaving their colorful marks on a hot summer day while their parents purchased pastries and other sweets inside.

A few metal tables were placed outside with their umbrellas still tucked in before the morning crowd started to arrive. The teal door was open, allowing the light morning breeze to sweep inside, but all of that was nothing compared to the girl bustling around behind the counter.

Woman. Not girl. I kept having to remind myself. It was clear she hadn't seen me and I couldn't help but spy as she swept in and out of the kitchen preparing for the morning rush. Her light blond hair was tied up in a messy bun and she wore baggy jeans that barely stayed on her small waist. Her t-shirt was splatted with batter from one of the many connoctions she was placing in the counter display.

Quinn. Eight years away and she was still my Quinn, but an older and even more beautiful version of the 14 year old I say goodbye to so long ago. I could faintly hear music drifting from what I assumed was the kitchen and she smiling to herself as she licked batter off a small spoon. Taking a deep exhale of pleasure she closed her eyes and slightly swayed her hips.

My breath hitched and I had to avert my eyes. Eight years. Why had I stayed away so long? How did a now 22 year old maintain a full time college education and own her own business? Why didn't anybody tell me how much she had grown? The questions fired one after the other, too fast to even contemplate the answers.

One thing was for sure, the feelings I had started to feel so long ago had never went away. I had felt disgusted with myself when I was 25 and started to crave a teenager's presence way more than was respectable. For Christ's sake, I remember holding her as a baby, taking her for ice cream, and taking her hand while crossing the street. My palm used to swallow her small and delicate one as she giggled and tried to pull away. I felt like a pervert, I guess I probably was a pervert.

Shaking the thoughts away, I took a deep breath and went to step inside the small building. I saw her scurry to the kitchen and figured this was the best way to break the news that I was back. I would rather not have an awkward reunion in the presence of her three older brothers and numerous nephews and nieces, not to mention her parents. Maybe I was and had always been hyping this up in my head. I'm sure I was barely a fleeting thought to her after so many years.

I was waiting patiently at the sleek stainless steel counter when I heard a crash followed my laughter drifting from the swinging door. Moving quickly to the door, I paused, overhearing 2 sets of voices.

"Dean, stop! I have so much prep work and I'm already behind," Quinn's words sounded serious but her playful tone told otherwise.

"Babe, I didn't get to sneak over last night, I need some TLC before I go insane," the deep voice that followed hers shot straight to my gut. She has a man? Of course she has a fucking man, she's too beautiful to not be touched 24/7.

Quinn chuckled but I didn't hear any more protests. I needed to leave, why was I still here? I slowly eased up to peak through the small window on the door. My breathing turned ragged. Quinn was sitting on a wooden table, her jeans unbuttoned and her head thrown back. A dark haired figure was making his way up her neck, trailing kisses, while his hand descended into her pants.

Light moans started escaping her slightly parted lips and my cock jerked. Fuck. A damn moan, elicited from the actions of another guy, and I was getting hard. God, she was so beautiful.

"Dean, oh, that feels so good," Quinn brought her head back up, only to immediately lock eyes with mine, the goddamn creep watching her through a window. I swallowed hard and jerked away from the door. I quickly made my way around the counter and through the front door, faintly hearing more clattering behind me.

I didn't look for cars as I walked back across the street, "Lucas, wait!"

I turned my head to the side, seeing Quinn jogging to catch up, "I didn't mean to interrupt Quinn, we can catch up later," I mumbled over my shoulder.

"Lucas," a hand grabbed at my arm, "You didn't interrupt, that was just Dean, a friend—"

"Funny, I've had a lot of friends, but never ones I put my hand down their pants for," I continued walking around the corner, shrugging out of her grasp.

"For Christ's sake Lucas, eight years and this is how you're choosing to say hello to me?" I stopped walking, feeling her eyes boring into my back. I slowly turned around. She had her arms crossed over her chest and a slight frown graced her perfect mouth.

Becoming more frustrated, I growled, "No, actually, I didn't choose to see what I just saw Quinn," I heard the nastiness in my tone, but couldn't hold it back, "You're practically my little sister and you were about 5 seconds away from an orgasm in your kitchen. I'm sure that violates some sort of health code!"

Her face grew angry, her eyebrows bunching together, "What I choose to do, where I choose to do it, and whom I choose to do it with is none of your business, but if you must know it would have taken more than 5 seconds, we had just started," Smirking, she turned away and shuffled back around the corner and across the street into her bakery.

I threw my head back and took a deep breath. That did not go well. Smooth Lucas, real smooth. A 34 year old, insulting a kid for getting it on with her "friend". Sighing, I made my way to the side street I had parked my rental. I should just drive back to Chicago and jump on a plane to, well, anywhere. No one knew I was in town yet, not even Madoc. Knowing he would have insisted on picking me up from the airport, I opted for more of a surprise that also allowed a nice drive to gather my thoughts.

I hadn't planned to stop at the bakery, but I couldn't stop myself when I'd seen her jog across the street and into the small shop. God, I wiped a line of sweat from my brow and adjusted my pants, still sporting a slight hard on. Sighing, I shifted into first and started making my way to Madoc's. Returning home was probably a mistake, and trying to figure out my feelings for Quinn could damn well turn deadly.