1

The sun had just begun to set as Liam and I walked home from school like we usually did, it had become a routine of sorts for us since sophomore year; get ice cream at Tilly's, buy meaningless trinkets we don't need from the corner store, throw br...

The sun had just begun to set as Liam and I walked home from school like we usually did, it had become a routine of sorts for us since sophomore year; get ice cream at Tilly's, buy meaningless trinkets we don't need from the corner store, throw breadcrumbs at the seagulls and walk home.

School was always exhausting for me and you'd think I'd have gotten used to it by now, the constant attention, the people who pretend to want to be my friends just to get close to my family, the dozens of high school boyfriends who I found out were using me to get an autograph from my dad. Yeah, I've known it all, but that's the life of growing up being the daughter of one of the most wealthy men in the world right now.

Liam and I were what you'd call wallflowers, born to blend into the scene and never truly be a part of it, and we liked it that way. We became friends the very second we realized we shared the same hatred for this perfect paper town full of plastic paper people living pitiful paper lives.

"All it takes is one truthful match to ignite the truth behind them all." Liam recites taking the lighter from his pocket and setting fire to his usual Marlboro gold cigarette.

"Yeah, and we'd only burn as collateral damage too." I remind him and he smirks offering me the lighter but instead, I take the cigarette from between his pursed lips and take a long swig, feeling the smoke coat my lungs in a thick cloud that makes its way out my nose and lips.

We all have a vice, and it this moment that was mine.

"I would, you'd come out unscathed." He says as though it should be common knowledge, "come on Aspen you're an Archer you always land on your feet,"

"True." I laugh and he places an arm over my shoulder and I lean into him and immediately recognize the fabric of the blue sweater I'd knitted for his birthday last March, I can't believe he still wears it. "Being Aspen Quinn Archer is a blessing and a curse believe me."

"And I'm sure that curse is that thousand dollar purse you're carrying, no- maybe it's those two thousand dollar earrings your mom got you because she was late to pick you up from school once?" Liam chides and I shove him playfully,