Annihilator

Episode: 13x15

"Family quarrels are bitter things. They don't go according to any rules. They're not like aches or wounds, they're more like splits in the skin that won't heal because there's not enough material." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Last night in St Louis, 4 roommates were killed in a rental home in what police are calling a robbery turned homicide." Lily said, as she showed the pictures of the new case to her team.
"It's brutal." Luke commented upon seeing the four young people dead and covered in their own blood.
"Yeah. Looks like the two sides of his brain were fighting with each other." Matt agreed. "Left side wanted to rob the place, the right side wanted to cause some destruction."
"Yeah, but both sides got exactly what they wanted." Rossi said. "What was taken?"

"Nothing traceable." Lily responded. "A computer, tablets, cash, jewelry, and the like."
"How long was it before local PD called us in?" JJ asked.

Lily opened her mouth to start an explanation, but in that exact moment Linda Barnes entered the conference room already talking and pulling out a chair in the round table to make herself comfortable.

"They didn't." She explained, as the whole team frowned at her. "I called and offered our services to them, because this is exactly the kind of case the BAU takes from here on."

Luke and Spencer both glanced confused at Lily. Normally picking the cases was her doing. But by the way the woman rolled her eyes at the older Agent and bit down her lip hard, they knew Barnes had walked right over Lily to make this case happen. Both men exchanged a glance. That wasn't going to end well.
"Maybe it's just me, but I need a little help understanding our new case selection criteria." Rossi spoke up, bringing Luke's and Spencer's attention back to the team.

"We want cases with good optics that are also quick and easy to clear." Barnes answered, but not before shooting a glare at Lily. She huffed quietly when the Agent wasn't looking at her anymore. "Here we have 4 victims, young upstanding professionals, all of whom the public can emotionally invest in. The crime itself is contained, and the motive appears to be determined."
"The M.O. is pretty straightforward." JJ said. "Their hands and mouths were duct-taped and they were stabbed repeatedly."
"I see the unsub left a knife. Were there any prints?" Rossi asked.

"No." Lily answered, shortly.
"With this many victims, it could be a team." Luke said, quite uncomfortable with the fact that Barnes was still around.
"Right. Shouldn't rule it out." Spencer agreed, in the same situation as his co-worker.
"You're right." JJ nodded, trying to defuse the tension. "Ok. Wheels up in 20."
"Meet you on the tarmac." Barnes said, as she got up from her seat.

The whole team froze in a second and frowned at the woman.
"You're going into the field with us?" Tara asked.

"Yes." Barnes answered, as it was obvious.
"No offense, but you're not a profiler." Rossi commented.
"True, but I have worked in the field, and a fresh set of eyes might be useful." She argued. Not one member of the team moved. She sighed. "I know you think I'm the enemy, but I'm not. I can be your greatest advocate if you'd let me. Now, you've had some poor leadership in the past, but I know I can help right the ship."

"No. You're wrong." Spencer spoke up so forcefully Lily felt a shiver run down her spine. "Emily Prentiss is not a poor leader. She defined what a unit chief should be. I'm not going to stand here and let you destroy her career like this. If you're going, I'm not."

Everyone's eyes followed Spencer's form as he left the room, all too surprised to do much else. Over the initial shock, Lily shifted her weight from one foot to another, deciding if she should go after her fiancé. JJ gently shook her head, letting her friend know she thought it would a bad idea. Lily sighed, but didn't move.
"You know, the kid looks a little flush. Needs a sick day, don't you think?" Rossi almost spat at Barnes as the woman scoffed.