Diplomacy

As Lukas walked ahead of the company, he felt a sword at the back of his neck.  Reaching back slowly, he felt the edge.  "Your edge is too dull.  Only thing you're cutting with that is bread.  I'm here by the request of Emperor Gao Lei.  I have a letter of proof in my left pouch on my belt.  I'm reaching for it," Lukas said as he held it up.

"And it's signed by the Emperor's emissary, Sun Da.  My apologies.  I'll take you to the nearest outpost.  The Emperor's favorite general is there," the warrior said as Lukas got up and followed them.  As he entered a brilliant red tent, he saw an older man reading a book.  The man was wearing a sleeveless tunic that showed he was not entirely fit but his arms also showed his strength had not left him even in his old age.

"Ah, a visitor.  And who might you be?  Tea?  Fruit or herbal?" The man asked as he gestured to a fine china teapot and cups.

"Uh, yes please.  Mandarin spice if I recall correctly," Lukas said as he took his shoulder guards off and laid them beside him with his weapons.

"You've been here before?" The man said.  "And although we're potential enemies," you disarm yourself so readily."

"I have, a long time ago.  And I know your reputation.  General Jiao Lin.  A man who even let's his prisoners have a fair chance to fight their way to freedom if they wish the risk," Lukas said.

"By the birds of prey that adorn your weapons, I'll assume that you are a Black Prior.  And if I'm not mistaken, the gold trim on your armor is a sign of being within Vortiger's inner circle," Jiao Lin said as Lukas nodded.

"I'm his nephew.  How do you know him?"  Lukas asked as he accepted the hot tea.

"The old fox and I go a long way back.  His predecessor, an old tactician by the name of...Folstag I believe, sent a young Black Prior to me to teach him.  My family have been on the better side of neutral with the order for years, so I taught your uncle much of what he knows.  Eventually, duty set us apart, but we agreed to keep in touch.  Never to commit treason mind you, but we are still friends.  As old men sitting at a chess board.  Bitter enemies on the field, old friends and comrades at a table of peace.  Seeing you brings a joy to this old man's heart.  I heard you had not only turned your back on the Blackstone Legion, but had orchestrated an offensive against Apollyon.  Besting her is no small achievement.  But back to the matter at hand, I understand you're here by the request of the Emperor.  We can remain here for the night, but some of my men and I will escort you to Qiang Pass.  What exactly was the message Sun Dae told your Lord Warden?"  Jiao Lin said as alarms were heard.  Jiao Lin got up and grabbed his guandao polearm and Lukas grabbed his longsword and exited the tent.

In the middle of the camp stood Vortiger and the company of Black Priors.  "Where is my nephew?!  I will slit throats till someone answers me," Vortiger said , pausing when he saw Lukas standing behind Jiao Lin.  "Well, glad I don't need to make your camp a bloodbath.  How long have you been here?" Vortiger asked.

"Long enough.  In the morning, we'll escort you to Qiang Pass.  It seems urgent so we'll go as well.  Meanwhile, my cook will prepare food for all you warriors.  Not what they're used to eating, but it will nurture the body and ease the mind.  With the coming counter-siege, we must be ready,"  Jiao Lin said as he and Vortiger left to talk of time bygone.  Alfrin walked up and elbowed Lukas when he wasn't looking.

"What was that for?" Lukas said as he rubbed side.

"For scaring me and Vortiger.  No sign of you an hour after the rendezvous time in enemy territory.  Just because I'm your  friend doesn't mean I won't throw you through the nearest wall," Alfrin said as she cracked her knuckles menacingly.