Is the Yeti (Big Foot) real?

This idea comes with several names--Yeti, Abominable Snowman, Big Foot, Sasquatch or whatever. This creature is basically an ape-like species that’s fur covered and is larger than a normal human. Traditionally, such a species is considered to be legend.

Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Howard-Bury first used the term ‘Abominable Snowman’ when he climbed Mount Everest in 1921 and found footprints that he believed were made by such a creature, and as you could imagine, the media made this idea a fabulous tabloid story. Yeti is a Napali word and it is part of Himalayan culture.

Bigfoot is also called Sasquatch and again it’s a purported ape-like species living in forests mostly in the Pacific Northwest; although there have been thousands of bigfoot sightings all over the place. Actually, this is not a new idea. Indigenous American Indian tribes have related stories about these creatures long before they became a popular media concept.

What’s really wild is that some people have claimed to have made contact with Bigfoot-like creatures. Fuzzy images of Bigfoot have shown up in tabloids, and shaky movies have been made of them, usually at a distance that makes it hard to see the creature’s features. Most of these have been dismissed as fakes.

So, what are people seeing out there in the woods? That’s a good question that’s almost as hard to answer as what are all of the UFO sightings. Some claim it’s a guy running around in a suit. Others claim it’s a Gigantopithecus. Say what? This is a hypothesis that’s considered questionable. Supposedly Gigantopithecus fossils have been found in the Americas, but they consist of only mandibles and teeth. The argument against this idea is that the creature would be too large to adopt a bipedal gate. In other words, it’s too big to walk like a man. Isn’t that a song?

Another proposal is that they are an extinct Paranthopus, but fossils of this creature were only found in Africa. Then there is the idea that it is a Neanderthal. Again no remains have been found in the Americas. The main problem is that no ancient species could have survived into modern times. The lack of credible evidence and legitimate recording casts doubts on the existence of these ape-like monsters.

However, that doesn’t quell people who believe in such things. They’ve founded organizations and have conducted formal studies. Who knows, maybe they’ll find a true Bigfoot or Yeti somewhere.

Thanks for reading.