Ch. 23

After a couple of hours of flight, the Hoo finally touched down onto the charred, rocky land of the Fury Volcano. 

All around her, Peach could see nothing but charred rocks dry dirt. Dirt-covered hills rose into the distance, and the air quavered with heat. Against the backdrop of the blue sky, about five miles away, Peach could see a huge mountain rise, white at its top with snow. A great opening could be seen at the top of the mountain. It must have been the Fury Volcano. 

"I leave you here," the Hoo crooned. "I dare not venture in any further." Peach slid off of her back, as did the other four. When they were all set, the Hoo stared into Peach's eyes and said, "Princess Toadstool, I wish you luck on your journey." 

"Thanks," Peach said gratefully. 

"You'll need it," the Hoo continued. "This lands are marred not just by magma, but with evil and foreboding as well. I have a definite feeling in my feathers that you will encounter trouble." 

Toaddette and the others looked worried, but Peach said, "We'll handle it." 

"I know you will. You are strong-willed and skilled people. However..." The Hoo spat something into the ground. It was a huge leaf that looked sharp and razor-edged. "No one can endure everything. At one point in our lives, all of us will reach our limits. And that is usually the best time to make an exit. Use this leaf here to call me if you need me." As Peach picked up the leaf, the Hoo added, "Fold the leaf in half and then blow along the edges. It gives off a discreet sound that only owls can hear. I will hear and I will come for you." The Hoo dipped her head. "Use it as a last resort." 

"Thank you," Peach said again. 

The Hoo nodded and unfolded her wings. "Farewell, Peach and company," she said. "I know you will succeed. And do not forget the grass if you need me!" She took to the air, and in a matter of moments, she was flying back over the horizon.

***************************************** 

Peach and her party first decided to explore the area. As it was, there was nothing much to explore. For miles, the only thing there was to see was dirt, rocks...and more dirt. The earth was cruelly blackened and had the distinct smell of charcoal. As if it'd been burned. Peach wasn't surprised. As she turned towards the huge volcano in the distance, Peach deduced that Fury Volcano was anything but dormant. 

The tiny group walked on for several more miles. As they traveled farther inland, the air grew hotter and hotter and soon began to waver with the heat. 

"I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing mirages," Perry said sarcastically. 

"Me neither," Toaddette gasped, gulping down some water from her canteen. "Princess, can't we rest a moment?" 

Peach was eager to keep moving, but rationalized that their team couldn't possibly do their best if they were tired, hungry, and thirsty. "All right," she agreed. "Let's find a place to set up camp." 

They found a small hovel ground out of a rocky hill nearby and decided to set up camp there. There was a nice little basin in the hill to put up a tent, and plus, the hill kept them out of any wind or rain. Peach doubted this place had any weather but heat, though. 

Toadonelly and Toader set up the tent while Peach, Toaddette, and Perry fixed lunch. As usual, there were tons of pucker buds they'd stored from the mansion, and they began to roast them over a fire. After everything was said and done, they ate their meal near their tent: pucker bud stew, roasted pucker buds, and water. A very bland dinner. 

The sun was still high in the sky when Peach decided to go and scout out their next route. They had no idea of where they were, and Peach had no idea if the land was pooled in lava or not, but she wanted to take the safest route possible. Toaddette and Toader and Toadonelly were all resting in the tent and hydrating themselves, and Perry was eating the leftovers from lunch when Peach set out.