ONE

I flutter my eyes open, glaring at the sunlight that seeps through my bedroom window. Groaning loudly, I pull my covers over my face and close my eyes, hoping to be pulled back into the darkness. I never really enjoyed mornings. They're just a reminder that you're stuck in a world called reality, and let me tell you, reality sucks ass. Because, as soon as I feel myself drifting back to sleep I hear my phone go off causing me to, once again, groan in annoyance.

"Damn it!" I yell out.

I pull the covers off my face and hastily reach for my phone. Without looking at the caller ID, I answer the phone,

"What?!"

"Good morning to you too Babe." My best friend, Belle, says, giggling, amused by my outburst. I feel my cheeks heat up.

Ignoring the pounding in my chest, I laugh nervously,

"Sorry about that."

"No worries, I had a feeling that you were still asleep." She says, I sit up and lean on my back on my headboard. I yawn,

"What time is it?" I look at the clock and my eyes widen.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit." It was 7:53 am and my classes starts at 8:50 am.

I click the speaker button on my phone and throw it on my bed. I jump off my bed and run towards my walk in closet and rummage through my clothes.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?!" I hear her gasp.

"And miss the chance to witness your panicked state? Never!" I shake my head and laugh, I grab my ripped jeans, white shirt and denim jacket. As I was removing my pajamas, I hear her say,

"Anyways, I just called to let you know that you don't have to pick me up today." I stare at my phone confused.

I always pick her up from school. It was like our unsaid tradition, I pick her up, she lectures me for waking up too late, we grab coffee and we just sit in the car and jam out to chill music until classes starts.

"Oh, why not?" I ask as I finished changing.

I walked towards my bed and reach for my phone but freeze when she speaks,

"Miah will be taking me."

'Miah' or 'Jeremiah' for short, Belle's boyfriend. We met Miah three months ago and clicked instantly. He became one of my best friends. He was like a brother to me. And then one day he asked me if Belle was single. Oblivious of his intentions at that time, I nonchalantly answered him 'Yes'.

They made it official just last month.

I shake my head and take in a deep breath.

"O-okay. I'll j-just take my time then." I grab my phone and turned off the speaker button.

I closed my eyes and put the phone against my ear.

"Just don't be surprised if you don't see me in first period." I joked.

I smile sadly hearing her laugh.

"Don't you dare Donato! I better see your ass there!" She says.

I sit on my bed and chuckle,

"Yes ma'am, I'll be the--" before I can finish my sentence, Belle cuts me off with a small excited squeal.

"Oh! Miah's calling I gotta go babe! See you soon! Love you!" I feel my heart ache.

"I love yo--" She hung up.

I sigh and rest my arms on my thighs. I lean forward and put my face in my hands,

"Fuck reality."

-
-
-
-

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.