The Chance Meeting

Start from the beginning

"We will tolerate you, Harry. Behave yourself, and enjoy the fresh air."

After this, the group headed for Hogsmeade. The outside air was chilly, but it cleared the heavy fog that had been in Harry's head for days, making Harry feel better immediately. The cold also reduced the throbbing of his hand. After a short walk, the village came into view. They already encountered several groups of students who returned to the castle after a day at Hogsmeade. This sometimes resulted in a few quizzical looks, but often all they had to do was look at Harry and turn their faces away.

The group passed the Shrieking Shack, after which Draco paused. He turned to Harry, causing him to back up. "Hey, Harry, explain how I came to see your floating face in our third year. I hate to admit it, but it actually kept me awake at night."

Harry threw his head back and laughed loudly. "Really, Draco! I've been sleeping with you in the same dorm for six months now. Surely you should know the answer to that question by now, right?"

Draco shook his head slowly and the rest of the group shrugged as well.

"Tsk, tsk, and you call yourselves Slytherins," Harry chided. "It makes sense, doesn't it? I was wearing my invisibility cloak. It fell off my head, causing my head to float through the air."

Draco's mouth dropped open in disbelief. "That's all?"

Harry grinned. "Sometimes the explanation is obvious."

The group of friends now started to laugh again and continue walking towards the village. Draco lamented loudly that he had lost years thinking about Harry's floating head. Harry smiled at the blond boy's behavior; he knew Draco was deliberately trying to distract him, and Harry appreciated the sentiment.

The group entered the Three Broomsticks and were greeted by an overwhelming warmth and scent that could only linger in the famed bar. They found an empty couch at the end of the room. Theo offered to buy the first round of Butterbeers, to which the rest eagerly agreed. Harry joined in too and enjoyed the conversations around him.

After two Butterbeers and three sneaky Firewiskeys- which Draco had managed to arrange with Rosmerta- Harry stood up. "Guys, guys! And my lady," he said looking at Pansy, earning himself a cheeky wink. "Thank you for the enjoyable afternoon, and thank you for your support over the past few weeks. I know I've been a shitty friend... So, here it comes: sorry. Sorry for my explosive behavior, and sorry for not showing any appreciation for you guys. You are the best friends a boy could possibly want. But with that said, I'll leave you alone for a while, I want to walk around outside. I'm going back to the castle in an hour, if I am not back by dinner, then you can worry. I... I want to be alone for a while."

Draco nodded and stood up to give him a manly hug. "You'd better come back, Potter. I'm certainly not going to take care of that monstrosity you call a snake... A few days ago I saw some second-years dressing him up with make-up. He had lipstick on, Harry! Slytherin's animal is a snake, but I refuse to believe that Jormy is the epitome of Slytherin."

Harry grinned. "He will surprise you, Draco. He's a bit odd, but he's smart, loyal, and a little scary at times. There will come a day when you will have to recognize that Jormy really is the embodiment of Slytherin."

Harry waved to the rest of the group and walked out of the Three Broomsticks. He wrapped his cloak tightly around himself and detested the biting cold. It may not have been as cold as a month ago, but he felt it was a long time coming before spring would begin.

Harry shuffled past the windows of the many shops. Sometimes he looked in with melancholy. This feeling came over him especially when he saw a young witch with a huge mop of hair. She stood looking at the stationery and laughed when the friend said something to her. For a moment she looked so much like Hermione that Harry held his breath sharply. His chest tightened painfully as the feeling of sadness and loss took over.