Chapter 38 - Reach For The Sky

Start from the beginning

You take a deep, shaky breath and nod - never tearing your eyes away from the engraved "14" on the metal door. You feel a flash of anger looking at that stupid 14. He shouldn't be shoved into this hole in the wall. He should be resting in the recovery ward. In a real bed. Holding someone's hand. Covered in warm blankets and being told everything's going to be okay.

Not laying in here. Not like this. 

"Would you like a moment?" the old diener asks. But you blink a few times and wipe your eyes, letting the anger ebb before shaking your head, and motioning for him to continue.

The diener nods, and slowly reaches out once more, pulling on the handle. Reaching in, he slides out the long metal bed and you look away, cringing the moment you catch a glimpse of that starch, white sheet. 

"I'll give you time," the diener says kindly, leaving you standing beside the metal bed. 

You hear the double doors swing shut, and you take another steadying breath, your body trembling as your eyes lift slowly from the floor until they reach the covered body. Tentatively, you step forward and reach out a shaky hand, reaching for the edge of the white cloth. Your fingers grasp the hem and lightly pull it back. 

"Matty," you gasp, setting down the sheet just past his bare shoulders. "Oh sweetie," you whimper, reaching out your fingers and brushing away strands of his dark hair from his translucently pale face. 

You let your fingers lightly trace over his closed eyes, remembering how they had smiled up at you so mischievously each time he stole away to the west wing to share a lunch with you. You steady your shaky breath as they travel down his cold and pale cheeks, stopping to brush your thumb lightly over where his dimples used to emerge each time he laughed.

You reach for his arm, and gently pull his hand from below the cover, taking it in yours. You notice he no longer wears his gloves.

"No," you exhale sharply, looking down at his fingers. "No!" you mutter again, angrily.

"Y/n, what's wrong?" Tony says from behind him.

You hold Mateo's cold, limp hand in yours and your lip curls in anger as you stare down at his plain, flesh-colored fingernails.

"Go to his quarters, Tony. Find his fingernail polish. I don't care where he's hidden it I want you to find it."

"His what?" Tony asks, confused. 

"Fingernail polish. Light blue. Please," you ask, voice breaking as you weave your fingers through Mateo's stiff ones before glancing back. "Please, Tony."

Tony is clearly confused by your request but nods, leaving the morgue quickly. You watch as the double doors swing back and forth behind him. 

And for the first time you're alone with Mateo.