Chapter 12: Rose

"There you are. I had a feeling you would pop up here."
We walked into a new area where Duke happened to be.
"It was all worthless." Ethan sighed out.
"Is that so? I assume you've picked up something of value."
"Not sure if it's of value, but..." Ethan pulls out the jar that he picked up after we defeated Dimitrescu.
"Why—you have your daughter right in your own hands."
My eyebrows shot up as I walked closer to Duke.
"What are you saying?"
"Take a closer look."
I pull the jar out of Ethan's hands and start to wipe off the dirt. The jar had a label that said 'head'.
"Rosemary W. Head" I whisper out before I drop the jar, my hands shaking.
"That flask seems to contain her head."
"No... Wh-Wha-?" Ethan stutters as he grabs my shaking hands.
"Rose is—"
I continue to just stare at the jar in shock.
"Don't say another word! This—this is impossible! This just can't be...!" Ethan's grip gets tighter on my hands.
"Your daughter's essence is still intact. Her powers are truly unique."
"Who—who could even do this?" I whispered out as tears filled my eyes.
"Who did this Duke!"
"She can be saved you know?"
"Saved? From this?" Ethan questioned.
"Are you insane!?" I followed up.
"There's a house with a red chimney on the western side of the village. Go and seek out the man who lives there. Then we can continue our conversation."
"Quit holding out and get to the damn point!" I shout at him.
"You don't have to trust my words, but do you have any better options? Your choice. The customer is always right, after all."
Ethan steps in front of me while still gripping my hands.
"You'll pay if I find out this is a lie."
Duke laughs as I bend down and pick up the jar.
"Fucking joker...!" Ethan whispers as I place the jar into one of the slots in the alter that was in the middle of the area we were in.
Once it's placed one of the things holding down the alter moves so it no longer is holding it.
"What the hell?" I question before turning back to Duke and making a few purchases and sell some things. When I sell him Dimitrescu's crystallised torso Duke seemed very happy.
"Oh, Lady Dimitrescu! Beautiful even in death. That waistline... yes!"
After a few more minutes of purchasing things Duke thanks us for our patronage and we leave.
———————————————————
We searched the village and found a couple of notes placed throughout it. I brought them with us so we could ask Duke about them. The notes I grabbed said:
'I heard a scream from the house with the chimney.
I was going to take a look but the way was blocked by debris. Going to have to take the long way around. Who would have thought the hole in the stable walls would come in handy.
If I'm not back by morning... you should go to Luiza's house alone.
-Father'
The note was probably from the crabby old man we met early on.
The next note we found near a gate that we walked to after fighting off some lycans. We also found a new pistol inside a home we walked through.
'To whom it may concern,
Due to the Luthier's long absence, I am keeping hold of his house key.
Please find me if you need it.
Regards, Josef Simon
(Beneviento's Gardener)'
We figured we needed to find this key so we could be able to go to the next area.
Later we walked through the church again and found some military equipment.
'Must be Chris?'
'Operation Date: 2.9.2021
Recorded By: NH
1135 - Arrived at site. No sign of EW or RW
1210 - Infiltrated village.
Engaged with number of bioweapons
Found evidence of EW. RW location unknown.
1310 - Established base in church.
Plan of operations:
LB/TD/K9 - Search laboratory
NH/UE - Analyze mold samples.
Alpha - Infiltrate factory.'
Later on we found Luiza's necklace with a note next to it.
'The Winged Key is just a single piece. Three more parts are needed to make it whole.'
In a box there was the second half to the key that we used to attach to the first key we had. Now the key had four wings on it. Next to the box was a diary.
'February 1st
Sacrificed two goats to Mother Miranda.
February 3rd
Offered wool to Mother Miranda.
She instructed I find her a list of drugs and tools in the next few days.
What for, I wonder?
February 8th
No messages from Mother Miranda.
Yet the livestock won't stop their ruckus.
February 9th
I was instructed to take the items to the cave church at sunrise.
But what I saw was... frightful.
The great Four Lords were there and Mother Miranda was holding a child.
She whispered something and touched the child...
I can't explain it well but... the child... turned into a white crystal?
Then... then... she...
I couldn't help but speak up and I asked her why she did such a thing.
Mother Miranda just smiled at me.
"This is the chosen child.
She will return to her original form no matter what befalls her."
Then she gave each lord a part of the crystal in a flask and they left.
I forgot to bow to Mother Miranda before I fled.
I'm still shaking.
What did she do?
What is that child?'
And now we were on our way to Duke to ask some questions.
———————————————————
"How was it? Did you learn anything?"
"We found these feathers. Now tell us how to fix this like you said you would."
I gripped Ethan's shoulder so he wouldn't do anything rash.
"Settle down. First you must use that key and collect all of your little Rose's flasks."
"Where are the rest of them?" I asked.
"There are four in total. You have the one, and the other lords have the rest."
"The lords?" I asked again.
"Mother Miranda is the cold, calculating ruler of this village. Four lords serve under her. The first you've already met, the lady Dimitrescu. The second lives deep in a valley of mist, the doll maker Donna Beneviento. None of her playmates have ever come back from that dank, old estate. The third is Moreau, a being of twisted flesh that lives in the reservoir past the windmills. It's said that he is not the only monster that lives in those waters. The fourth and most dangerous is Heisenberg. He works in his factory on the village outskirts. And the project? Let's just say parts of the human imagination are better left alone."
'Heisenberg...I wonder what he works on that's so bad?'
Why do I even care about what he does he took my kid!
Duke hands is a map that is marked up.
"If you truly wish to save your daughter, you must first gather the four flasks. I'll do you a personal favor. I've marked the Lords' locations on your map. Some treasures still lurk in this village. I'm sure each one will prove of great use to you."
"Why are you doing all this?" Ethan asked.
"Why it's all part of our first class customer service. Please do come again soon..."
Before we were about to leave I remembered how we killed some fish and chicken before we got here. I asked him about it and he happily told me about how he can make us some dishes.
"Shall I choose something for you? Ah yes, I have you! Find some quality ingredients and bring them to me. You kill it, we cook it! Hand over ingredients. We've gathered all the ingredients! Now... Here it is. Please, join me!"
I chose a dish to be made and waited while Duke cooked it.
The second it hit my mouth I closed my eyes in satisfaction.
"Not a bad dish." I compliment.
Ethan decides he wants to sell the fist pistol he had and upgrade the new one. And I bought myself a sniper rifle.
"I'm buying this because of our relationship, you know. I'm surprised you'd part with this so early. I hope this one makes itself useful. I am skilled at all sorts of weapons modifications, and will do them for a small fee. Have a wonderful adventure!"
After we finish getting what we need we headed up to the next area.
———————————————————
We were walking through the woods. This area made it seem like it was nighttime again.
The forest had dolls handing around in the trees.
I shuddered.
"Ugh just like the Bakers" I whisper.
I feel Ethan walk closer to me and wrap an arm around my shoulder as we continued to walk forward.
After a while we hear Mia calling out to us...well to Ethan.
"What" Ethan whispers still holding onto me.
"Ethan! (Y/n)! Come with me. There's something I have to tell you two."
Then she disappears.
"What's going on?" Ethan asks again.
This time he holds onto me tighter like I was about to slip through his fingers.
'Why does she need Ethan? And what does she need to tell us!?'
———————————————————
Hiii everyone :) just wanted to let you all know I don't know if I'll have a chapter out tomorrow since I'll be busy but Sunday I should have one out! Love ya all <3