Chapter 2 - New beginnings

The day starts with Enola awaking from her slumber to a cooking smell and the birds singing outside her window

She gets herself dressed into a simple dark green dress.

I'm so glad I don't have to wear tight corsets and big bustles, just small plain dresses fit for a 14 year old.

She looks in the mirror and brushes her hair that's just past her shoulders.

You see Enola only turned 14 last week and still looks quite young, but she's a warrior.

Enola follows the delicious smell and obviously finds her way to the kitchen where she sees her brothers discussing something at the table while Mrs Lane makes breakfast

"Good morning, sister dear." Sherlock greets her

"Good morning." She sings with a big toothy smile

He laughs "Aw look at those little fangs." He teases her.

"Shut up!" She chuckles

"Both of you can shut up and stuff your faces." Mrs Lane laughs, putting down their morning meal.

"Ah yes the most important meal of the day." Sherlock says.

"Aww look at you all," Mrs Lane grins widely at them "like one big family again."

Not all of us

But Enola just smiles, nods and finishes eating.

9:45 am

Enola folds her clothes and packs them and other belongings into her bag.

Tears stream down her face and her heart feels heavy.

She hears a knock on her door and looks behind her shoulder to see Sherlock at the door.

She sniffles and wipes her tears "Come in."

He enters her room cautiously and sits down next to her.

He stops her hands and she realises that in panic she had started to pack frantically.

She takes a deep breath and lets out a sob and before she knows it she's in her brothers arms, enveloped in a warm hug.

"I'm so sorry sister, I really am." He squeezes her tight.

They separate from the hug and she blinks a few times to get the tears from her eyes.

"Enola, you are to take a train to Canada. You are to go to The Hopetown Asylum and say that Mr Stamp sent you. Alright?" He says while fixing her hair.

"Mr Stamp? Canada? Asylum? Wh-"

"Yes, Mr Stamp, we can't have them knowing that we've sent you. Canada, we need you as far away from mo- from here but still so we are able to check up on you-"