I wish I could somehow stop my feelings. The whole thing was getting out of control and I was powerless over it. I was hoping that by her not talking to me, my feelings for her would go away but they didn't and I hated it. I just wanted to be there for her – help her with whatever she is dealing with.

She has been avoiding me to the point that I can't even help her with the dragon case. I don't even know if she made any progress or if she got the trial date yet. I felt horrible about the whole thing and it was making me sick. It also made me desperate and it was time for me to do something about it.

The next morning I woke up and saw that the sky was cloudless. I dressed up quickly and without making myself some coffee like I usually did, I hiked to my sunrise gazing spot. I hoped she would be there so I can catch her alone. It might just be the only time she would be willing to talk to me.

I stopped right before reaching the peak. I was getting nervous. I couldn't help shaking the feeling that this all had to do with me and I wanted to be the last person to make her sad. I wanted to be the guy to put a smile on her face not make her cry herself to sleep.

I inhaled sharply and let the fresh morning air fill my lungs and made my way to the top. I was right. She was there, at our usual spot.

Ever since we became friends and I learned how to control my feelings and got over my guilt, we have been coming here to watch the sunrise together. It was the best way for us to bond and it was private. Even though it hurt thinking that we were nothing more than friends, I longed for those moments again.

I wanted her to be able to talk to me. I, out of all people, know how it's like when you bottle something up and not talk to anybody about it. I wanted to be her friend if I can't be more.

"Thought I might find you here," I said in a soft voice, careful not to startle her.

"I was just leaving." She started to get on her feet.

"Don't." I tried grabbing her wrist to stop her but she stepped away from me.

"Rhy, you have to tell me what is going on." I looked at her but her eyes were looking at everything around me.

"Just...leave me alone, Charlie." She dusted her pants and started walking away.

"I can't do that." I tried snatching her hand one more time and this time I succeeded.

"Yes...you...can." She said through clenched teeth. "Now let go of my hand." I loosened the grip and she took a step backward.

"Okay, that's enough!" I raised my voice. I didn't like it but it made her look at me. She was on the verge of tears and I could sense she was looking for a way to escape. I will not let her get out of this so easily. She can't go on like this.

"What in the bloody hell happened to you in those two days that you said you will visit Nick?" She flinched when I mentioned his name.

"It doesn't matter, Charlie." She spoke after a few seconds of thinking about what to say. Probably to feed me another lie. "It doesn't concern you."

"The hell it doesn't." I took a step closer to her and she instantly took one backward. "I'm your friend and I'm concerned for you. Our whole team is. You have to let us help you."

"Help me?" She let out an incredulous laugh. "The last time I checked I can take care of myself just fine!"
"You don't look fine to me." I bit my tongue after saying that but it was the truth. She looked paler than usual. Her hair was all over the place and she constantly looked tired.

"Thanks for the compliment." She scoffed and started walking downhill.

I ran after her. I can't let her get away like this. She might be done talking but I wasn't even halfway through. I don't care if we both miss work, I am getting to the bottom of this. I put my hand on her shoulder and turned her around. She was skinnier too as if she hasn't been eating for days.