Emma Gray...Who?-Chapter 1

Violins, cellos, pianos and flutes all came together to create one harmony that filled my heart with joy. The only reason I always looked forward to these annual donation balls was for the orchestra. I searched the grand ballroom looking for my parents. Both of my parents were known New York Assembly members and each had their respective followers, though father didn't want to admit that mom had slightly more. I found moms dark brown almost black hair done up into in elegant bun. She had green eyes that always seemed to glow whenever a conversation about politics came up. For a second she shifted her gaze towards me and smiled softly before returning to her conversation with a very scary looking older woman.

                I looked around the loud and chattering ballroom stopping my eyes on father. He was tall eloquent man with big blue eyes that seemed to pierce the soul. His jet black hair was combed back and his posture was that of a king. Though dad looked like a man who never smiled, at home he was as soft as a teddy bear. Besides the constant noise of these annual balls, I despised coming because it reminded me of who I'm never going to be able to become. My parents were both very high and sociable people who looked extraordinary. I paled terribly compared to them, my light brown hair and brown eyes seemed to be out place. I always found it odd that we looked so different but they always said that that's why the love me, because I'm unique and different from them.

"Would you like to dance?" A voice brought me out of my comparisons and I turned around to meet a pair of bright brown eyes. He was wearing a classic black tux and his black hair was cut short. His face was proportional with translucent skin that seemed to be freshly shaved. As I looked him in the eyes he looked to be no older than twenty.

"I don't dance." I said shyly smiling hoping I would be able to continue listening to the music without embarrassing myself.

"You can't possibly be half as bad as me." His hand was stretched out towards me and I looked up at him once more.

"Trust me." I said with a light laugh and looked away feeling my cheeks redden at the thought of me falling. The three inch heels mom paired with my long white and blue ball gown wouldn't be a good mix.

"How about this, if you tell me your name I'll leave you be." I opened my mouth to tell him my name but I was beat to it.     

"Em's!" I jumped out the sudden outburst feeling my heart rate spike. "Oh hello." Ellie said once she realized that I wasn't alone. Ellie Jamieson was the daughter of Mr. and Misses Jamieson a couple of very wealthy donators. She was one of the few reasons why I was able to enjoy these nights.

"You must be Ellie Jamieson." The boy said with a dazzling smile forcing a giggle out of Ellie. I raised an eyebrow and her and stood up feeling awkward now that I was the odd one out sitting. Even on my killer heels the young man was still a good four inches taller than me while Ellie without heels still managed to be my height.    

"Why yes I am, and you are..."

"Well that I'm sad to say must remain a mystery. It was lovely meeting you Miss Emma Gray and you too Ellie Jamieson." With those parting words the young man disappeared into the crowd of people.     

"I'm so sorry!" Ellie quickly said once she regaining her composure. "If I knew you were talking to such a-"

"Ellie relax." I said laughing thankful that the awkward situation was diffused. 

"I've missed you!" She finally said throwing her arms around me laughing. Her blonde curls splashed all around us and her blue eyes were bright with excitement. The Jamieson's didn't live in New York so my time with Ellie was usually short lived.

"Me too." I said pulling out of the embrace. She was wearing a beautiful red dress that pooled by her feet making her skin look tan.

"Emma dear." I heard a familiar voice and looked see mom smiling. "Ellie," Mother gasped quickly and her smile widened. "You've grown so much."

"Thank you Mrs. Gray, you likewise look stunning."

"Did you just arrive, I haven't seen your parents yet." Mom said and Ellie quickly nodded.

"Yeah, we somewhat came late." She said with a short chuckle. "To tell you honestly its because Dad couldn't decide which tie looked better, but mom is telling everyone that our flight was delayed due to weather conditions." We all exploded into a fit of laughter.

"Grace?" Mothers face was red from all the laughter as she turned around to see Mr. and Mrs. Jamieson.         

"Linda, Andy, it's so great to see you both." Mom said visibly containing a chuckle.

"It's been so long," Mrs. Jamieson said with a sigh and then turned her attention towards me. "Emma?" She asked and I nodded feeling shyness as all eyes turned to me. 

"Oh Emma dear you've grown into such a beautiful young lady." She said smiling kindly. Ellie got most of her looks from her mother, the golden hair, perfect body but her blue eyes from Mr. Jamieson.

"Thank you." I said timidly looking down at the marble floor.    

"She's gorgeous." I heard mom say and then wrapped an arm around me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Edward Tran and it is an honor to be this year's host of the 12th annual Leaders of Tomorrow banquet. Now if I can please have you all take your seats we can get this show on the road!" The announcer spoke excitedly and everyone took their time getting to their seats.  After two hours of money being given, accepted and denied we were finally allowed to leave.

"How long are you guys staying in New York?" We were now standing outside waiting for out car to go home.

"About a week." Mrs. Jamieson said and looked at me.

"Oh you poor thing," She said smiling. "Are you tired?" I looked at her for a second and then smiled.

"No no I'm good." I said feeling my feet screaming out in pain.

"We're meeting up tomorrow and I don't want to hear another word of it." Ellie said pulling me into a bone crushing hug.  

"Okay okay!" I said breathlessly desperate to get out of her grasp.  

"Call me as soon as you wake up, promise?" Ellie asked looking me in the eyes and I nodded.

"Promise." I said laughing.

"Emma," I heard my father's voice and turned towards him. He placed a strong arm on my shoulder and smiled. "You ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow." I called to Ellie and waved a goodbye to her parents.

"So did you have a nice time?" Mom asked as soon we were on the road.

"It was beautiful as always." I said smiling at her and turned my attention back out the window.

"Is that all?" She asked with a knowing smile.

"What do you mean?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"The boy." She said coyly and I heard dad next to me breathe out a sigh.

"Grace-"

"John shush, out daughter as found a nice man." Mom said smiling.

"Mom." I groaned looking back out the window. "He's no one, I don't even know his name." I said and she once more gave me a knowing look.

"Alright honey." Mom said and engaged into a conversation with father. After a few minutes realization washed over me, I never told the boy my name yet he knew it himself. Street lights illuminated a modest two story home, surrounded by trees and flowers. It was around eleven and the moon was full and high in the sky. I felt shivers run up my bare arms at the calm sight. Once the car halted we piled out and made our way up the stairs.