4 - A Deep Slumber

A strong gust of wind flew through the parted windows brushing the soft stray tendrils away from the tear stricken face. The sound of the downburst acted as a lullaby to the sleeping girl who laid unaware of the untimely storm awaited by the city. The clouds darkened in welcome of the heavy downpour as beads of water bounced off the concrete roofs of the skyscrapers.

Aiding the winds in their failing mission, a few drops of rain slipped past the windows and greeted the curled up girl trying to wake her. A couple of failed attempts later, the girl's eyes flickered open letting the world view her beautiful chestnut orbs. Her eyes swept over the room accusingly, trying to find the culprit who destroyed her sleep before resting on her own form.

With her long legs tucked underneath her and her arms wound securely around her sister's pillow, the girl found herself leaning on her sister's bed. An imprint, the shape of her face, on the pillow indicated her that she fell asleep with her face dug in it. A sheen of tears laced her eyes as the memory of how she ended up in that position washed upon her.

It had been two weeks since her sister went missing and the local police were slowly shifting their focus on other cases. This was the longest the girl had been without her sister and it was visibly crushing her. A knock on the door startled her washing away the remnant drowsiness.

"Avishi! Beta please open the door" came the voice of her grandmother.

"Avi beta you have not eaten anything since yesterday afternoon. Please have something." she called after a moment of silence.

"No dadi. I am not hungry." replied Avishi.

"That's not acceptable Avi. I will not eat till you do then." Lata resorted to blackmailing seeing her other attempts failing.

Guilt overpowered the girl as she realised the amount of stress she was inflicting on her grandmother due to her grief. Dragging herself off the floor, Avishi trudged towards the door and pulled it open to find her grandmother with heavy bags under her eyes and tired sunken face.

A fresh bout of tears made their appearance as the old lady wrapped her frail arms around her granddaughter. The duo remained in the embrace for a few moments seeking comfort from each other.

"I am sorry Dadi. I did not mean to worry you. It's just didi-" Avishi paused due to hiccups.

"Hush my girl. I know. I know. Don't worry. We will find your sister. Come. I made some tea for us." murmured the elder.

They settled down at the dining table sipping the hot chamomile drink as the occasional thunders filled the silence.

"I have upset you, haven't I dadi?" asked Avishi, her eyes glistening with apology.

"No dear. I have been a witness to your agony when you sisters were apart for the first time. We had to send you from India to New York alone just so you could be with your sister and it was only for a week that you were separated. So your behavior now is completely understandable."

Avishi lowered her eyes bashfully and focused on her drink. She remembered that week as clearly as yesterday. Avishi's father had received a splendid job opportunity in India and the family returned to their home country only for Tusharika to travel back to New York months later to attend her university.

"Dadi" began Avishi hesitantly "I will be fine. You have already postponed your journey to India by a week on my accord. Don't postpone it further. As you said, di will be back soon and things will be back to normal."

"Right. Then I will return once things are back to normal." replied the elderly lady "I know I came as a visitor here but I am your family and I don't abandon my family at times of need."