3. Brienna

-----

-----

"That couldn't have gone worse." Tyler said as we walked down the concrete steps of my dorm building to the campus parking lot. 

I scoffed. "You think? He looked like he was going to tear up all over again." I shook my head as he chuckled. 

Safe to say, apologizing to the freshmen went terribly. He freaked out because he thought the dean was making me say sorry. Then he freaked out about that and I had to spend ten minutes assuring him that I just felt bad about making him cry. Lesson learned about just letting bygones be bygones.

As we turned the corner to the parking lot archway, Tyler took my hand in his. The corner of my lips turned up at the gesture considering he's never really been much of a touchy person. I, on the other hand, am. I haven't ever admitted that to him. Even after five years of dating and twenty years of friendship. 

We stopped in the doorway and he turned to face me, still holding my hand. He used the other to rub the back of his neck. "I'm sorry I can't come up sooner." Unnecessary guilt laced his tone. 

My smile dropped a little at the reminder. "It's ok. I understand your dad needs you."

Tyler works at his dad's car shop almost full time. His dad needs the help and he needs the money. The Matthews's, Tyler's family, aren't exactly the most wealthy, so if you want money you have to work for it. Hard. 

That's one of the few things I like about my parents. If you need money they're happy to give it and fortunate enough to not have to worry about the cost. I used to take full advantage of their generosity when I was younger, but I work to pay my own bills now. They are still helping with college costs for the new year, but that's about it. 

"Yeah, Dad's not giving any breaks this year." He tried to joke but he hesitated instead, like there was something to hide. But what could he have to hide? Especially from me? 

He was fine a moment later like my brain had made it up to paranoid me. I blinked the thought away. No reason to freak out over nothing. "You're still coming in a month, right?" I asked hopefully. 

"Yes. Of course." He assured. 

I gave myself a second to just admire his features. His tall, slim figure and russet skin that always seemed to glow in the sunlight. Dark eyes to compliment his even darker hair that was cropped short in the style he always wore it in. My gazing was distracted when he interrupted, "Don't forget to take your meds."

I shook my head to avoid smiling at his worry. "Busybody."

He shrugged and offered an easy leer in return. 

And as quick as it came the nice moment was over. The silence hung between us like dead weight. Tyler's not very good at goodbyes, or hellos, or small talk. I usually carry that factor of our relationship on my shoulders. He used to, but it's just one of those things that drift away with age for some people.