Chapter 31

Cookie pulled up to Candace's place. Carol having sobered up with all the water Cookie was practically forcing down her throat. The girl wasn't making any damn sense. Why the hell was she bringing up so much old shit in a time like this. Hell Cookie too had been reminiscing but not this sappy about it. Getting out the truck they headed up the driveway. Cookie frowned walking up to the front door. Peeking through the glass panel on the door she saw framed pictures scattered in the entrance. 

"You see anything?" Carol questioned, turning the doorknob finding it locked. 

"Yeah, a tornado zoomed through there." Cookie spat, pulling away from the glass. 

"It's locked." Carol stated, as Cookie reached for the doorknob. Cookie hummed looking around. Considering breaking the glass. Unfortunately she could see a nosey old white woman "getting" her mail.

"I'll call her." Carol tossed, following her line of sight. She waved to the old woman with a hard smile pulling up Candace's contact. The woman hesitantly waved back heading for her home looking back periodically. Cookie stared the woman down crossing her arms. 

"Nosey bitch." Cookie grunted, walking to the bay windows. Trying to find a part in the thick curtains. 

"Straight to voicemail." Carol announced. 

"Try again." Cookie snapped, glancing at the white wood plank fencing. 

"Same thing. It's like no ones home." Carol sighed, a sudden thud sounding out. Cookie and Carol backed up glancing up at the second floor of the home. 

"No ones home my ass."

"Well let's knock." Carol tossed, Cookie sucked her teeth heading for the gate. Sometimes Carol was a special kind of stupid. Testing the gate, finding it locked Cookie hummed. Ignoring that nosey ass lady looking out her window.

"Give me a boost." She spoke, Carol bent low leaving her fingers. Boosting Cookie over the gate she dusted her hands off. Unlocking the gate for Carol before heading to the backdoor. The vertical blinds open giving Cookie a clear view of destruction. Overturned furniture, glass, paper, books, all thrown around.

"Is that....Candace!" Carol erupted, spotting a pink figure. Cookie hissed, grabbing the door grateful it was unlocked. The two rushed over to the body on the kitchen floor. Bruised and a little bloody but breathing was Candace. 

"Oh my god! Candace! Wake up!" Carol exclaimed, shaking Candace hard. A groan falling from Candace's lips, her eyes fluttering. 

"Candace?" Cookie called, looking around for anybody else. 

"Bri....Bri..."

"Brianna? Is she here?" Cookie rushed, Candace blinked her eyes unfocused.

"Bri.....Franklin...."

"Girl what!?" Cookie hissed, Carol glared at her fanning Candace.

"Give her a second!" Carol snapped, Cookie huffed waving her off. 

"Stay here. Ima look around, call me when she's talking right."

 Getting up, Cookie slowly crept around. Someone else was definitely here. In high alert she crept up stairs. Looking at all the rooms she pursed her lips. Picking a random one to start with. Finding the hall bathroom empty, she quietly crept down the hall. Opening the master bedroom door she softly closed it behind her. 

"Brianna?" She whispered out, checking the master bathroom. 

Coming up empty she exited noticing papers on the bed. Carol was accurate about the talk of divorce. A man's wedding band on the stack. Kevin's name was signed clear as day. Hearing something drop, Cookie jumped. Looking to the closet. Narrowing her eyes she walked over. Reaching in she flicked on the light illuminating the walk in closet. Whimpers meeting her ears.