I.VIII

The... Four? Musketeers.. I Think Not

~~~~~~~~

"The world is full of
monsters with friendly faces
and angels full of scars."

-

  "Would you-

  Whatever Klaus was going to say was cut off as a large vase came soaring towards his head, the hybrid ducking right before it hit it's mark and he threw his human a look of exasperation as the glass littered the floor, "that was from Venice, sweetheart, 1493, an original design!"

  Nixie grunted, fingers latching around a small pot he had stashed on the nightstand but as she raised it to throw, his hand locked around her wrist and her lip lifted in a silent snarl, "you're an asshole!"

  "And you are breaking all the fine art, love" Klaus chuckled nervously, gently removing the pot from her deadly grip and setting it back into its rightful place before softly grabbing onto her other wrist and bringing her hands to his lips, "now can we please discuss this like civilized adults before resulting to anymore violence?"

  That apparently was the wrong thing to say because instead of calming down, Nixie released an angry scoff and contemplated head butting him before ultimately realizing it would hurt her more than him. She took one look at his passive expression and her shoulders hunched, "you really don't understand why I'm mad at you right now, do you?"

  "Was it the waffles" he sighed, "I told them they needed to be more crispy-

  "The waffles aren't the fucking problem" Nixie exclaimed, ripping her hands away from him and taking a step back, "you put a fucking hit on all the wolves in the bayou!"

  Klaus ran a hand down the side of his face, "of course I bloody did" he retorted, "I needed Marcel's lot to trust me and what better way of gaining their allegiance than by giving them a few people to slaughter."

  "That's Hayley's family" Nixie's voice boomed through the walls of the compound, the vampires that were occupying the bottom floor all freezing at it's intensity. The former protectress grit her teeth as blood began rushing to her cheeks, a clear sign of her growing anger. She felt like throttling him. She knew Klaus struggled with empathy when it came to things that he didn't personally care about, but this was something she cared about, and that should've been more than enough for him to take her anger a bit more seriously.

  Klaus' amused grin that had been settled onto his face for the last 20 minutes suddenly faltered as the angry gleam in her eyes simmered to one of desperation and his hands now hung loosely at his sides, "I'm sorry, sweetheart" he sighed, already detesting the feeling of guilt he now felt for making her so upset. "I swear, I'm listening now."

  Reciprocating his sigh, Nixie leaned forward until her head rested against his chest and tried not to smile when his arms instinctively cradled her closer, "it's just... Hayley is in this mess because of us, because of me. Because she was willing to put her life on hold for the next 9 months to make sure I could have a chance at one. All her life she's been searching for her family, Nik, and now that she's this close to finding them... you put a bounty on all their heads. You'd think you'd be a little more appreciative towards the woman currently carrying our child."

  "That woman made horrible accusations against me in regards to said child" he instantly shot back, pulling away from her and crossing his arms in an act of defiance.

  Rolling her eyes at his childish tendencies, Nixie refrained from pinching the bridge of her nose, "and then we left her in the bayou to take care of your rabid brother who had your venom literally running through his veins, I think she's more than paid her dues, wouldn't you say?"