Chapter Three - Stress

Stress

"Daddy.." the boy wailed, tears streaming and nose running. The loss of his father weighing over him like a dark cloud ready to start a storm.

Tears rushed like rivers down many peoples faces as they started to leave the service within the grounds of the church. Many people loved the great man who had helped everyone who stood around him. His old team members from the volleyball team they were all on together along with the coach that instructed them all even after reaching his late eighties. He was cherished in many people's hearts and to see the friend, husband, and kind man resting in a coffin covered in lilies broke all their hearts.

His son took it the hardest of all as even though he was his father, he was also his best friend who taught him the wonders of the sport he had loved himself. He knew it wouldn't be the same without him here to teach him, but he pledged to himself that he would grow and become the best player he could. The ravenette was young and had only just turned eight years old yet he knew what he wanted to do to be able to make his dad proud of him from the stars above.

"We're leaving, come on." The blue-eyed boy was grabbed and dragged towards a silver car by a petite, slim woman with blonde hair and a hard face: the boy's mother.

It had been a few days since I had joined the volleyball team and I had taken most of the practises to get to know the others from a distance as well as during drills. I never took anything too far and I'm pretty sure they were starting to think I was one of those lazy players like Kenma was, but I was just analysing them. Analysing and figuring out the best way I could support them whenever I was on the court. I wasn't going to let down a team again and I had to make sure of that by putting in the hidden effort to make it all work out.

I had woken up far earlier than I normally would, the unexpected motivation leading me to the small notebook I had been using to make volleyball notes ever since I had joined the team. Binding was starting to wear down and the slight bit of age was beginning to show through. Scratches and tears; pencil and pen marks littering the cover and inside page. Notes and small pieces of coloured, lined, and scrap paper overflowed from around the original paper which was covered in ideas, key points, statistics and overall game play style of each member. It was analytic notes that I had put together myself over the past few days and the tiny bit of pride swelled momentarily at the work I had put in already. With the sun still rising and the birds now chirping, I wrote: continuing to add to the endless notes and conjuring the basis of what I would need to do myself to help the team I now played a part on.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

For a change, I was the first to the gym: bag slung over my shoulder and notebook in my hand as I settled onto the concrete steps that lead to the gymnasium entrance. The air was bitter and a light mist had risen from the evaporating water. A shiver ran down my spine, tickling my receptors and causing a wave of anxiety to crash down. I reached out and opened the notebook, resuming what I had been doing during the earlier hours to pass the time until someone turned up.

"Shen-san?" The lively voice of the boy I had met on the first day jolted me from a curious world within my mind.

I looked up and nodded towards the browned haired boy, standing up and giving him a short smile as a "hello".

Inuoka smiled and bounded towards me like a golden retriever puppy, taking out the key to unlock the gymnasium doors with and wrenching it open. The building was cool, but warmer than the air outside and a change in temperature settled the nerves for now. We walked in together, making our way to the changing rooms and welcoming those who slowly started to arrive after us.